HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS
& HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1906.




ROUTT, CHARLES LOUIS , (deceased), Jacksonville, was born in Woodford County, Ky., September 13, 1825, a son of Harvey and Catherine Maria (Springer) Routt, both natives of Kentucky. Charles L. Routt was educated in the Catholic College at Cincinnati, Ohio, at the age of seventeen completing a course which included a mastery of the dead languages, as well as French and German. Throughout his life he remained a great student, and was an extensive general reader. Upon the completion of his college course he returned to Morgan County, where his parents had located in 1834, and at once began assisting in the operation of the home farm, eight miles southeast of Jacksonville. His father died in that city in 1872, and the son continued farming upon property inherited from the paternal estate. A short time prior to his father's death, he also removed to Jacksonville, where he spent the remainder of his life, passing away November 26, 1894. Individually, he possessed over 1,000 acres of good farming land in Morgan and Sangamon Counties, and he and his brother, William R. Routt, held a large amount of land in partnership. He also owned several store buildings in Jacksonville, and a third interest in the Grand Opera House. Though a stanch Democrat, he never cared for political honors.

Mr. Routt will be best remembered by reason of his multifold munificences to the Church of Our Savior, of Jacksonville, and to the foundation of Our Savior's Hospital of that city. He also made large gifts to the Catholic Convent, at Springfield, Ill., and to the support of the Catholic Church and its auxiliary institutions. Upon his death it was found he had devised the sum of $75,000 to be devoted to the furtherance of the church work of the diocese, under the direction of the Bishop. His name will always be held in most loving remembrance by those interested in the welfare of the church, and also by many needy persons who were in no manner identified with Catholicism. He was a man of a quiet, retiring disposition and of profound philanthropic and humanitarian instincts. His numerous splendid traits of character endeared him closely to a large proportion of the population of Jacksonville and vicinity. Mr. Routt inherited a portion of the great estate of Reuben Springer, of Cincinnati, and this he regarded as a trust fund to be devoted to the elevation of the educational, moral and religious status of the community. The Routt Club, of Jacksonville, was named in his honor. Mr. Routt never married.


1906 Index

Home