SEYMOUR, EDWARD D., representative farmer and stockman, residing on Section 9, Township 13 North, Range 9 West, in Morgan County, Ill., was born on his father's farm a short distance north of his present home, January 22, 1834, the son of John and Sarah (O'Brien) Seymour, of whom a more extended sketch appears in connection with that of Robert Seymour. In his boyhood Edward D. attended a subscription school in his neighborhood, but, in later life, realizing the need of further instruction, was a pupil in the district school with his own children. He had already served as a member of the School Board, before he thus rounded out his education in his mature years, and had assisted in organizing the Providence School near his home. He left his father's homestead in 1857 and, in association with his brother, Jarrett, bought 220 acres of land, which later was divided and in 1859 the partnership was dissolved. Edward D. now owns a fine farm of 200 acres, with substantial improvements made by himself. The farm which he occupies is one of the first settled in the county, being originally the property of Isham Gibson, an early pioneer, from whom, in 1847, it was bought by John Seymour, his brother.
Edward D. Seymour was married January 22, 1857, to Anna W. Spires, daughter of John Spires, who came to Morgan County in 1831, and to them have been born seven children. Of this family two are deceased, viz.: Albert, who died at the age of eleven months, and Oliver T., in March, 1899, aged twenty-four years. Those still living are: Marion Sylvester, a farmer; Sarah E.; Jeannette, who is the wife of A. J. Stice; Amanda Jane, wife of Charles E. Criswell; and Mae, who is a graduate of the Jacksonville High School and Woman's College, and is now engaged in teaching. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Seymour votes the Prohibition ticket.