TICKNOR, ELMER E. H., General Foreman of Farms and Gardens at the Illinois Institution for the Deaf, in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born on a farm near Markham, Ill., June 24, 1862, the son of Levi F. and Flora (Thompson) Ticknor, the farm born in Broome County, N. Y., about the year 1825, and the latter, in Cattaraugus County, the same State, September 30, 1827. Levi F. Ticknor made a trip to Morgan County in 1852. Then, after spending some time in Texas inspecting that part of the country, he returned to New York State and moved with his family to Morgan County in 1854. He responded to the call of his country in 1862, but was rejected on account of physical disability. He is still living, and for forty years has been a fruit-grower and gardener six miles west of Jacksonville.
In his youth Elmer E. Ticknor received his mental training in the district schools of Morgan County, afterward working for his father on the farm until he was of age, when he began the operation of a rented farm. By industry, frugality and economy, he was eventually enabled to buy a farm in Township 15, Morgan County, which he conducted until appointed to his present position, July 4, 1897. Mr. Ticknor recently sold his farm. He is the owner of considerable city property, and is also a partner with E. R. Carter in the Jacksonville Selzer Spring Water Company.
On October 25, 1883, Mr. Ticknor was united in marriage with Avarilla Bramham, who was born on a farm near Markham, Ill., January 2, 1865, a daughter of George and Mary (Allison) Bramham, her mother's family having been among the early settlers of Morgan County. This union was the source of three children namely: Leroy E., born July 31, 1884; Arthur E., January 24, 1888; and George B., February 1, 1891.
While living in the country, Mr. Ticknor was elected Highway Commissioner of District No. 6, and was chosen Chairman of the Board of Highway Commissioners. During his residence in Jacksonville, he has also taken an active part in its public affairs. He was elected a member of the City Council in 1903, and is now serving his second term in that office. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the A. F. & A. M., belonging to Jacksonville Lodge, No. 570, and to the Blue Lodge. He is also identified with Jacksonville Lodge, No. 4, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Jacksonville Lodge, No. 228, Loyal Americans, of which he is President.
While living in the country, Mr. Ticknor was an active member of the Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church. In this connection he was a Sunday-school teacher, Vice-President of the District Sunday-schools, Sunday-school Superintendent and County Superintendent of Union Sunday-schools. He has also attended many of the State Sunday-school conventions. Financially, religiously and in local politics, he has proved one of the most prominent and influential members of the community in which he lives.