TINDALL, ISAAC F., who, until 1904, was successfully engaged in farming on an extensive scale, but is now living in honored retirement in Jacksonville, Ill., was born in Philadelphia, Pa., February 22, 1828, the son of Isaac N. and Jeanette (Ferguson) Tindall. Isaac N. Tindall was a carpenter by trade. In 1835 he traveled with his family by stage and canal to the Ohio River, continuing thence by boat to the Illinois River, and up that stream to Meredosia, Ill. Thence he came to Jacksonville, where he began working at his trade, one year receiving but $25 in cash, the remainder of his income being based upon barter. He worked in Jacksonville two seasons and then removed to the country, where he followed his trade during the remainder of his life, one of his contracts being the erection of a house for Daniel Smedley on the Smedley farm. Mr. Tindall died when eighty-two years of age, his wife having previously passed away. They had five children, who reached maturity, namely: Samuel, a farmer, who died in 1903; Ann E., who died single; Daniel, who lived in Taylor County, Mo., and died in 1904; and Robert, who lives near Cameron, that State.
Isaac F. Tindall attended the subscription school at Jacksonville - a small one-room building, located near the square, in which Mr. Devore was the teacher. When he moved seven miles into the country he attended school in a log house, with puncheon floor and slabs for seats. His first teacher there was Mr. Wright, and his final schooling was received under him.
When a boy Mr. Tindall worked for Daniel Smedley, plowing for $5 per month. The next year he and his elder brother operated a small farm for their father, while the latter plied his trade. After they had obtained sufficient means to buy a team, he and his brother Samuel worked in partnership. In 1848 they bought 240 acres of land on a small cash payment, and that year sowed 100 acres, which yielded 40 bushels of wheat to the acre. This they sold at $2.50 per bushel. Soon afterward they purchased 200 acres adjoining their farm from Col. Samuel Mathews, continuing in partnership until about 1867, when Isaac bought his brother's interest in the farm. There the former remained until 1904, when he located at Jacksonville, but still manages his farm, which now comprises 1,040 acres, all in the same neighborhood.
Mr. Tindall has bought and fed cattle for a great many years. In 1860 he and Thomas Orear went to Iowa, where they purchased 260 head of cattle and drove them to Illinois. Mr. Tindall fed from 300 to 500 head of cattle each year. During his long experience as a farmer, he has seen corn sold at five cents per bushel, wheat at twenty-five cents, and hogs at one cent and a quarter per pound.
Mr. Tindall is one of the most prominent agriculturists of Illinois. He is thoroughly self-educated and self-made, having begun his active life without means. Charitable, although judicious in his benefactions, he is so unostentatious that few of his kindly deeds have become generally known. He has contributed liberally to all enterprises tending to promote the public welfare, and represents that type of men to whom is due the abounding prosperity of Morgan County. In politics he is a Republican.