WEMPLE, FRANCIS HOLLAND, banker, Waverly, Ill., was born in Montgomery County, N.Y., August 27, 1840, a son of Jacob Anthony and Delia (Visscher) Wemple. Both his parents were of Dutch descent, and representatives of two of the oldest and most respected families of the historic Mohawk Valley. The founder of the Wemple family in America was Jan Barentsen Wemp (or Wamp), who came from Holland about 1640, and became one of the prominent members of the colony which settled in the manor of Rensselaerwyck, in the Hudson Valley. The Visscher family was founded in the Mohawk Valley shortly afterward, the name first appearing in the annals of the ancient city of Schenectady, N.Y.
Jacob A. Wemple brought his wife and family to Illinois in 1841, locating upon a farm situated about three miles southeast of Waverly, in Sangamon County. There the remainder of the life of the elder Wemple was spent. He became the owner of about 400 acres of farming land of great value, led a quiet, unostentatious life, was deeply interested in the welfare of the early schools, and was active in the promotion of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He died in October, 1887, and his wife passed away in 1885. They were the parents of three children, one of whom died at the age of five years. The remaining children are two sons _ Francis H. and Edward, who are partners in the bank of Wemple Brothers.
The early life of Francis H. Wemple was spent on his father's farm in Sangamon County. His education was received in the common schools and the Wesleyan University at Bloomington, Ill. Removing to Waverly in April., 1869, he engaged in general merchandising for seven years as a member of the firm of Crain, Manson & Wemple. Disposing of his interest in this concern in 1876, in the following year he and his brother established the banking firm of Wemple Brothers, the oldest established institution of the kind in Waverly. This house was established entirely independent of the mercantile business bank of Crain, Manson & Wemple, and has become recognized as one of the strongest and most reliable private banks in Illinois. Its basis is a body of 1,400 acres of rich farming land, which the brothers operate in connection with their financial institution. Their real estate operations are also quite extensive.
Mr. Wemple has taken an active and unselfish interest in the promotion of the best interests of the community in which he has lived for so long a period. He has served as Mayor of Waverly for several terms, and for a number of years has been a member of the School Board, of which he has been President. He is also identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, having filled the office of Commander of John W. Ross Post, No. 331, of Waverly. His military experience extended over a period of ninety days, beginning with his enlistment in August, 1862, in Company G, One Hundred and First Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under Captain McKee. He was elected Corporal, and filled the same post when mustered out.
On December 8, 1870, Mr. Wemple was united in marriage with Mary Carter, a daughter of Orrin Carter, who died March 9, 1900. They became the parents of five children, two of whom are deceased. Those surviving are Charles Francis, Cashier of the bank; William Lester, an attorney, practicing in New York, and Paul Wilbur, a student in Harvard Law School. Mr. Wemple is regarded as one of the most substantial citizens of Morgan County. He is a man of public spirit, on all occasions accomplishing what he can for the advancement of the highest interests of the community.