HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS
& HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1906.




WOODS, ABRAM C. (deceased), a pioneer of Morgan County, was born in Franklin, Ky., March 21, 1822, and came to Morgan County in 1827, with his father, William Woods, and his grandfather, John Woods. His father fought in the War of 1812, participating in the battle of New Orleans, and received from the Government a grant of land in Nebraska, which Abram C. Woods afterward sold. John Woods, the grandfather, enlisted as a soldier in the Revolutionary War from Wilkes County, Ga., and served throughout the war, part of his time as a scout in the command of Francis Marion, the noted South Carolina hero of that war. His body lies in the old cemetery at Franklin, Morgan County. Two of his brothers, Nathaniel and William, enlisted with him and served during the war.

When the three generations of the Woods family came to Morgan County in 1827, they located on land now included in the site of the village of Franklin; and the town which sprang up around their home they named Franklin in honor of their home town in Kentucky. Abram C. Woods worked on his father's farm until 1849, when he engaged in merchandising in Franklin, remaining thus occupied until 1865, when he removed to Jacksonville. For many years he was engaged in the dry goods and grocery trade in the latter city, first as a member of the firm of Stevenson & Woods, subsequently acting as a Director and Teller of the First National Bank, and afterward became identified with the firm of Phelps & Osborne. He was prominent in the work of building he first Centenary Methodist episcopal Church, devoting much time to raising funds for that purpose, and for many years was a member of its official board. He also was a leader in the movement for the reconstruction of the church edifice. During his residence in Franklin he served as Postmaster for many years. Fraternally he was identified with the Masons, and in politics, was a Republican.

April 13, 1847, mr. Woods married Susan Dugger, of Carlinville, Ill., who became the mother of the following named children: Ellen Adelaide, deceased; Mary Elizabeth, wife of James W. Crabtree; Edward Jarret, who died in infancy; Clara Lee, wife of J. V. Read; and Lillian May, widow of Samuel D. Osborne. Mrs. Woods died February 6, 1894, and Mr. Woods, July 10, 1903. Mrs. Woods was of French descent, the name originally being DeGuerre. Her mother's father, William McAdams, served with the Virginia troops throughout the Revolutionary War with two of his brothers, all of whom are buried in this State. They first removed to Tennessee, but finally located in Illinois during the pioneer days. The founders of the Dugger family in America came with LaFayette, under whom they fought.


1906 Index

Home