WRIGHT, ALEXANDER H., President and Manager of a private bank at Franklin, Ill., was born near that village October 3, 1844, the son of James and Sarah (Head) Wright, and grandson of Captain James Wright of Revolutionary Army fame. James Wright migrated from Kentucky to Morgan County in the year 1829, and began farming in a modest manner, although at the time of his death he was possessed of 420 acres of fine land. Alexander Wright passed his boyhood and youth in attendance at the schools near his home, and assisting his father upon the farm. Finally he took a course at the Jacksonville Commercial College, after which for a period of three years he taught school in Morgan County. In 1874 he decided to try mercantile life for a period, and, in partnership with his brother, B. F. Wright, owned a general store in Franklin, which for twenty years was successfully conducted.
IN 1892, Mr. Wright, in association with three others organized the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Franklin, which is now conducted as a private concern, with A. H. Wright, as President and General Manager, and G. P. Wright, Cashier. ON April 6, 1871, Mr. Wright was married to Mary, daughter of Wyckoff Poling, an early settler of Adams County, Ill., and of this union ten children have been born. In political affairs Mr. Wright is a Democrat, and frequently serves as a delegate of his party to County and State conventions; is also active in all matters pertaining to the advancement of the town wherein he resides. Recently he has rebuilt the Opera House which bears his name. He has been President of the village, and for more than twenty years a member of the School Board. For a considerable period he was the efficient Treasurer of the Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb at Jacksonville. Fraternally, Mr. Wright is connected with the Masonic and Eastern Star organizations, and is a member of the Christian Church.