Mrs. Mary A. Woodmansee was born October 26, 1837, at Givens Hill, west of Waverly, and lived there during her early life, excepting two years 1846 and 1847, when her father moved to Springfield.
She received a good training from the Woman's College in Jacksonville and taught school for eighteen years in twelve different district in Morgan and Sangamon counties.
She married John F. Woodmansee on May 7, 1878, and was a good mother to his five motherless children. To them were born two children, one dying in infancy, the other W. A. Woodmansee, now living in Memphis, Tennessee.
After the death of her husband she remained in the home about one year, since which time she has made her home with her son, and sister Elizabeth C. Givens.
She felt the responsibility of the family until the last. About twelve years ago the wife of W. A. Woodmansee died leaving a child which Mrs. Woodmansee took to her heart and home and kept her until August 12, 1912. The door of her house as well as her heart was open to all her friends and she was always ready to give her time and service wherever needed.
She was converted when a young woman under the preaching of Rev. Newman at Appalonia and was a faithful Christian until the end.
One brother, Robert S. Givens and one sister, Elizabeth C. Givens, also one son, William, of Memphis, Tennessee, and four step-children, viz: Mrs. Ella A. Morse of Los Angeles, California; Robert E. Woodmansee of Springfield; Harry W. Woodmansee of Carlinville; and Mrs. Fred S. Dennis of Waverly and a host of relatives and friends are left to mourn her loss, but happy in the thought that the parting is only for a little while when they are to meet again and live together throughout eternity. She passed away August 14 at 10 o'clock p.m. The end came in the same peaceful manner as she lived.
The funeral was held in the First Methodist church in Waverly, Illinois, of which she was a faithful member, August 16, 1913 at 12 o'clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. R. B. Hubbart. Interment was in Providence cemetery.
“Jesus I love to give to Thee
(Waverly Journal, August 1913)