Taken from the church records by Eileen Gochanour and published in December 1985.
OF JACKSONVILLE, MORGAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
Transcribed by Shirley Aleguas
(Parish Register: Notices relative to the organization of the Parish and concerning its history.
The following is copied from a Record made by Revd. John Batchelder, August 1834).
The parish of Trinity Church, Jacksonville, Illinois, was organized by a few individuals attached to the doctrines and forms of the protestant Episcopal church on the 11th of August, 1832. This was the first parish belonging to the Prot. E. Church, that was organized within the limits of the State of Illinois. Previous to the organization of this parish, no Episcopal Clergyman had labored within the limits of the state, and so far as can be ascertained, but few sermons from Episcopal Clergymen had ever been preached in the state.
The Parish of Trinity Church was destitute of a minister till the summer of the year 1833, when the Rev. John Batchelder, from Providence, Rhode Island, took charge of it as its regular clergyman. In the Autumn of this year (1833) the Wardens and Vestry of the parish determined to take immediate measures for the erection of a House for Public worship. Their means being too limited for the accomplishment of the object, by their request the Rev. Mr. Batchelder visited the Eastern Churches during the following winter for the purpose of soliciting pecuniary assistance. He was absent about five months, during which time they had no public worship.
In the following spring the erection fo the church was commenced, Ebenezer T. Miller being the architect. On the 9th of June the corner stone was laid with suitable religious exercises by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Benjamin Bosworth Smith of Kentucky, he then being on a visit to Illinois. At the time of laying the corner-stone of this church, Andrew Jackson was President of the United States and John Reynolds was Governor of the State of Illinois.
Jeremiah Barker and Bazaleel Gillett, were wardens of Trinity Church and Joseph Coddington, Ebenezer T. Miller, Samuel M. Prosser, Dennis Rockwell, Ignatius R. Simms, Richard W. Dummer, Aylett H. Buckner, and Austin Brockenbrough were the Vestry.
January 9, 1836, the church being completed, it was consecrated to the service and worship of Almighty God, by the Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, D.D. Missionary Bishop of the Prot. Epis. Church in States of Indiana and Missouri and having in charge the Diocese of Illinois during the absence of its Bishop the Rt. Rev. Philander Chase, D.D.
The old church burned March 14, 1918 and a new one was built later. The Parish house was used as a church until a new church was built.
Click for Records:
All material contained on these pages are furnished for the free
use of those engaged researching their family origins. Any commercial use,
without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.
All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does
so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further,
is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission. ęShirley Aleguas & Eileen Gochanour