Search billions of records on

of Civil War Soldiers

- submitted by Shirley Aleguas

GIVENS, W. T., Jr.
GOLD, Myron
GRAY, William
GRAY, William M.
GRIERSON, Gen. Benajmain H
HARRIS, James Madison
HARRIS, William Henry H.
HARRISON, William Columbus
HART, Albert
HART, Thomas Jefferson
HICKMAN, John Thomas
HOCKING, Alfred H.
HOLMES, George T.
HOPPER, Hassell
HOWE, Daniel W.
HOWELL, Pierson
HUDSON, Frank M.
HUGHES, Blair M.
HURT, Charles

Funeral services for Daniel W. Howe, Civil War veteran and one of Jacksonville's oldest business men, will be held at 10:30 o'clock Tuesday morning at the Gillham Funeral Home. Rev. J. F. Langton of Trinity Episcopal church will officiate, and internment will be made in Jacksonville cemetery. Mr. Howe's death occurred at 12:03 o'clock Sunday morning at the home of his son, Edward J. Howe, 749 East Chambers street. He had been in failing health since Sept. 8, 1926 when he was forced from his home on South Clay avenue by the flood waters. Since that time he had been at the residence of his son. Mr. Howe was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, June 7, 1841. At an early age he removed from the East to Iowa, where he resided for a few months before coming to Jacksonville. For more than 65 years Mr. Howe was proprietor of a grocery store at 477 South Clay avenue, his success there being evidenced by the faith his customers had for him. During the Civil War the decedent served with Company #, 210st Pennsylvania regiment, and was a member of Matt Starr, Post of the G. A. R. He was married when a young man, his wife preceding him in death August 23, 1914. Surviving are five sons, W. G. Howe, D. M. Howe and E. J. Howe all of this city; A. F. Howe of St. Louis and Ralph Howe of Torrence, Calif. There is one sister, Mrs. Sarah Summers of Montalto, Pa. He was a member of the Episcopal church. (Jacksonville Journal, dtd. 24 Jan 1927)

Veteran Citizen Was Born on Site of Present Opera House - Was Justice of the Peace Thirty-six Years.
Amos Henderson, born more than eighty-five years ago in small dwelling on ground now occupied by Jacksonville's business district, passed away at 8:45 o'clock this morning at his home, 412 East Douglas avenue. He was 85 years, 11 months and 7 days old, and one of the oldest Jacksonville natives. Mr. Henderson's health had not been good for several days, but he continued his insurance and real estate business until a year and a half ago. For thirty-six years he served as a justice of the peace, so that he became better known to the present generation as Squire Henderson. The decedent saw Jacksonville grow from a struggling village in the forties to a modern city, with business houses on and surrounding the site of his old home, where the Illinois theatre now stands. His memory was rich with early day happenings in Jacksonville. He could remember of his father telling of the day when Jacksonville was platted for a village. During his long life, Mr. Henderson practiced law, served as a justice of the peace, ran a store and engaged in insurance and real estate business. For many years he was one of the community's most active and best known citizens. Mr. Henderson was born here Nov. 20, 1841, the son of Smiley H. and Elizabeth Henderson, natives of Ross county, Ohio, who came to Greene county, Ill., before Morgan county was surveyed. Smiley Henderson passed through Jacksonville in 1826, when this city was being laid out, on his return from the Indian trading post at Beardstown. He purchased the corner lot where the opera house building now stands for the sum of $75. Read Law With Yates. Amos Henderson received his education in the public schools, having attended the old Jefferson school when it was housed in a frame building, and subsequently graduated from Berean college, after which he read law for three years with Judge Bordan and Richard Yates. In July of 1862 Mr. Henderson enlisted in Company D of the 101st Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. In that regiment he was engaged mostly in skirmishing. Because of illness he was mustered out in 1864, and later re-enlisted in Company B, 133rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until the close of the war. After the war Mr. Henderson returned to Jacksonville and for several years conducted a grocery store and confectionery on the corner of West State street and the square. Later in life he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, and carried on several other lines of endeavors with this work. Married Sixty-one Years. On Oct. 28, 1866, he was united in marriage with Emeline Miller, a native of this city. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson were schoolmates at an early age. Mrs. Henderson, who is now past 84 years of age, survives. The aged couple would have observed their sixty-first wedding anniversary tomorrow. Mr. Henderson was for a long period of years active in Odd Fellowship. During 1876 he served as Grand Master of the lodge in Illinois. Besides his wife he leaves one son and one daughter, Herbert Henderson, who is engaged in printing business in Decatur, and Mrs. Ruth DePew, wife of Clarence L. DePew, 412 East Douglas avenue. There is one brother, Smiley Henderson, of California; three grandchildren, Lawrence J. Henderson, Decatur; Mrs. George Stevenson, Urbana, and Miss Marian Miller DePew of New York City. Funeral services will be held at 2:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon at the residence on Douglas avenue. Interment will be made in Diamond Grove Cemetery. (Jacksonville Journal, dtd. 27 Oct. 1927)

His Daring Military Achievements Places Him High in Rank of Nation's Warriors Remains Will Be Brought Here For Burial.
A telegram received Friday morning by W. A. Bancroft announced the death of Gen. Benjamin H. Grierson at his summer home in Omena, Mich. The general passed away at 10:32 o'clock Thursday night. For more than a year he had been in failing health and after going to Omena he sustained a fall, which served to hasten the end. The message is, therefore not a surprise as it has been known for several days that his condition has been critical and with the 85 years upon him, it would be impossible for him to long survive. The remains will be brought to this city and are expected to arrive at 3:55 this afternoon over the Alton, accompanied by Mrs. Grierson. By the death of General Grierson there has been removed from the nation one of the most heroic defenders and Illinois has lost a commander, who in point of daring and initiative, was second only to Gen. U. S. Grant. The Grierson raid will be known as long as history lasts and the splendid courage displayed in and leadership of the grand old veteran will live through the ages. General Grierson's life was remarkable in many respects. He gave of his best service to his country at the time of its greatest need. He was a man of excellent habits and good training and was thus enabled to endure great hardships and to give courage to those under his command. In consequence he was a great leader of men and a commander, whose tactics brought results. Since the death of General Grierson there are now surviving only five out of the 133 that were commissioned to the full rank of major general General Stahl and General Sickles of New York, General Dodge of Iowa, General Wilson of Washington, D.C., and Gen. P. J. Austerhouse, who is in Germany.
In Early Life a Musician
The following facts were gleaned from the biography of General Grierson as written by Dr. W. F. Short in his "History of Morgan County:" Benjamin H. Grierson was born July 8, 1826, in Pittsburg, Pa., and was a son of Robert and Mary Grierson, natives of Dublin, Ireland. The family emigrated to this country in 1819, settling at Pittsburg, later removing to Youngstown, Ohio, and thence to Jacksonville, Ill. Benjamin H. pursued a course of study in the high school and academy at Youngstown and passed an examination, which would have entitled him to admission to West Point military academy, but he declined the appointment on account of the opposition of his mother. During his early years he was engaged in teaching music and still followed this as a profession after coming to Jacksonville in 1851. He possessed musical talent of high order and in early life conducted a noted band and orchestra. Later he spent some five years in the grain and mercantile business at Meredosia until about the beginning of the civil war, when he returned to Jacksonville.
Answered First Call to Arms.
When president Lincoln issued his first call for troops, young Grierson assisted in recruiting Company I of the Tenth regiment, Illinois volunteer infantry, and on May 8, 1861, joined the army at Cairo, serving for three months without pay as aide on the staff of Gen. B. M. Prentiss, serving with nominal rank lieutenant. He was on duty for a time at Tropton, Mo., and later accompanied Gen. Prentiss on the expedition to Cape Girardeau, Oct. 24, 1861 he was commissioned major of the sixth Illinois cavalry, taking rank from Aug. 28, preceding, but remained on detached service with Gen. Prentiss in northern and central Mis. Until November following, when he joined his regiment at Shawneetown, Ill. He was mustered in with his regiment from Jan. 9, 1862 and started on Feb. 10, with his battalion under ___ ment. He received orders March 25 to proceed to Pittsburgh Landing, but was detained at Paducah by order of Col. Noble, the most commander. Three days later he was chosen Colonel of the regiment to succeed Col. Cavanaugh resigned and in June following was ordered to Memphis, Tenn. On the 19th of that month by a swift dash with 250 men of his regiment and 50 of the eleventh cavalry routed a force of Confederates under Gen. Jeff Thompson at Hernando, Miss., killing and capturing fifteen, besides destroying a large amount of commissary and quartermaster stores, without the loss of a single man. Transferred to Sherman's Command Under the order of Gen. Grant with a part of his regiment, the Fifty-eighth Ohio Infantry, he moved a week later to Germantown, Tenn., where he was soon joined by the Fifty-second Indiana and a section of artillery, from which point important expeditions were made, which led to securing a large number of colored men to work upon fortifications at Memphis. Returning to Memphis, July 18, he was soon transferred to Gen. Sherman's command, under whose instructions he was actively employed for several months scouting in different directions with uniform success. Mules were obtained, furnishing Gen. Sherman with transportation facilities, enabling him to join Grant's Mississippi expedition. Nov. 26 Col. Grierson left Memphis in advance of Gen. Sherman's corps and for the next fifty days was almost constantly in the saddle, successively under command of Sherman, Grant and McPherson. During this time he made a rapid march from Oxford, Miss., to Helena, Ark., destroying camp equipages, wagons, arms and ammunition, also pursuing Gen. Van Dorn's forces from near Water Valley, Miss., north into Tennessee, and after repulsing that general's attack at Bolivar drove him south of the Tallahatchie.
Prepares For Hazardous Feat.
Col. Grierson was next assigned commander of the First Brigade consisting of the Sixth and Seventh Illinois and Second Iowa calvary, and by order of Gen. Grant reported to Gen. McPherson, then commanding the Seventeenth army corps, of which the cavalry brigade formed the rear guard on the march to LaGrange, Tenn., where it arrived Jan. 14, 1863. Until April following, the cavalry force was employed in guarding the line of the Memphis & Charleston railroad and scouring the surrounding country. Leaving LaGrange March 8 with 900 men of the Sixth and Seventh Illinois cavalry after a forced march of fifty miles, Col. Grierson attacked the southern forces under Col. Richardson near Covington, Tenn., effecting a complete surprise, routing the enemy with a loss of twenty-two killed and seventy captured, besides the destruction of commissary and quartermaster stores, train, ammunition and military records. Col. Grierson's loss in this expedition was only four men missing. The colonel had now volunteered for the hazardous undertaking and he entered upon one of the most memorable and brilliant expeditions of the war. On April 17, 1863, under orders received from Gen. Grant through Generals Hurlburt and Smith, he left LaGrange, Tenn., with 1,700 men with but three days' rations in their haversacks, and marching south through the entire state of Mississippi, a distance of over 600 miles, sixteen days later arrived at Baton Rouge, La. During the last twenty-eight hours of this raid Col. Grierson's force marched seventy-six miles, had four engagements, destroyed two Confederate camps, captured nearly 100 prisoners and crossed Tickfaw, Amite and Comite rivers.
Expedition Was Successful.
The destruction of sixty miles of railroad and telegraph line, several million dollars in property, besides 100 soldiers killed or wounded and 500 captured and paroled, was the result of this famous expedition. A large number of colored men accompanied Grierson's force to Baton Rouge and immediately mustered into union regiments. Colonel Grierson's entire loss amounted to one officer, one non-commissioned officer and three privates wounded and nine missing. The expedition proved the confederacy a "mere shell", disconcerted the enemy's plans, scattered and drew their forces from vulnerable points and three them into such confusion as to render them unserviceable and unable to concentrate against General Grant's forces in the movement against Vicksburg. As a consequence over 20,000 southern troops were ordered to different points by Generals Pemberton and Gardner, depleting the strength of the confederate forces at Vicksburg in the vain attempt to capture and destroy Colonel Grierson and his gallant band of audacious raiders from Illinois and proving an important factor in the capture of that southern stronghold three months later. On May 12 following Grierson's command destroyed the railroads and telegraph between Clinton and Port Hudson, La., took part in a number of engagements and patrolled the regions in the vicinity of Port Hudson until its surrender.
Service Recognized.
As a recognition of the services rendered in this remarkable campaign President Lincoln promoted Colonel Grierson to Brigadier General of Volunteers, "for gallant and distinguished service" in his great raid through the heart of the so-called confederacy - his commission bearing the date June 3, 1863, one month before the fall of Vicksburg. General Grierson took an active part in all expeditions from western Tennessee into Mississippi in 1864, made with a view of attracting the attention of the rebel forces and drawing their cavalry from the front and flank of the main army under command of General Sherman during the operations of the latter in middle Tennessee, and especially while General Sherman was concentrating his forces for his famous "march through Georgia." By direction of General Halleck, General Grierson led a rapid and successful cavalry expedition from Memphis, Tenn., in mid-winter - December 1864, and January, 1865 - dealing a destructive blow to the enemy's communications with the south, by destroying railroads, capturing and destroying Hood's army supplies, including ordnance, commissary, medical and quartermaster stores at Verena, Miss., and capturing the rebel fortification and forces at Egypt Station, Miss. Referring to the famous raid of 1863, General Grant stated in writing, now on file in the war department, "General Grierson was the first officer to set the example of what might be done in the interior of the enemy's country without a base from which to draw supplies," and that the mid- winter "raid of 1864-65" was most important in its results and most successfully executed."
Not Found Wanting.
It is impossible within the limits of this sketch to give a detailed account of even the most important of General Grierson's military achievements during the war period. Suffice to say that, up to the hour of the suppression of the rebellion, he was engaged in a service calling for gallantry, military skill and able leadership and was not found wanting, as shown in the reputation conceded to him in the history of that dramatic period. On February 10, 1865, by direction of President Lincoln, he was assigned to duty with the brevet rank of major-general and ordered to report to General Canby at New Orleans, to take command of a cavalry expedition through Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. Returning to New Orleans he organized a cavalry force for service in Texas, and later was in command in northern Alabama with headquarters at Huntsville, where he remained until January 1866, soon after being summoned to Washington to testify before the congressional committee on reconstruction. While there he was promoted to major- general of volunteers to rank from May 27, 1865, "for gallant and meritorious service during the war of the rebellion." At his own request he was honorable mustered out of the volunteer service, April 30, 1866. On the reorganization of the regular army, General Grierson was appointed colonel of the Tenth Regiment U. S. Cavalry, soon thereafter receiving the brevets of brigadier and major-general of U.S. army. He organized his regiment at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and for nearly a quarter of a century was actively engaged in scouting and exploring throughout the western states and territories, being almost constantly in the field or at some expose post in the midst of the most savage and warlike Indians of the frontiers. In this way he tendered service to the government quite as hazardous and important as that rendered during the war of the rebellion. Besides this valuable service at various military posts, he commanded at different times the districts of the Indian Territory and Pecos, Texas; The Department of Texas; the district of New Mexico and the department of Arizona, with headquarters at Los Angeles, Calif. Where he received his appointment as brigadier-general U. S. army, to rank from April 3, 1890. He was retired from active service on July 8 of the same year, since when he has resided at Jacksonville, Ill.
His Family Life.
On Sept. 24, 1854, General Grierson was united in marriage to Alcie Kirk of Youngstown, Ohio, daughter of John and Susan (Bingham) Kirk. She died Aug. 16, 1888. Seven children were born to this union, of whom two daughters and one son are deceased. The surviving sons are as follows: Col. Charles H., U.S.A., a graduate of West Point, now at Fort Ethan Allen, Vt.; Robert K. of Jacksonville, Ill.; Benjamin H., Jr., and George M., who are at Fort Davis, Texas, in the ranch business. On July 28, 1897, he was wedded to Mrs. Lillian King, formerly the wife of Col John W. King and a daughter of Moses G. Atwood of Alton, Ill., who moved from Concord, N. H., in 1837. Mrs. Grierson has one son, Harold Atwood King, general manager of a ranch belonging to General Grierson at Fort Davis, Texas.
In politics General Grierson was a Republican. Immediately on the organization of that party he became actively allied with it, earnestly advocating the election of John C. Fremont for the presidency, and in the campaign of 1856 was one of the very few supporters of Fremont in Meredosia, Morgan county, Ill. In view of the grandly patriotic career of Benjamin H. Grierson words of encomium are superfluous. His deed will speak evermore. They are written in imperishable characters on the scroll of his country's heroes, and form an inseparable part of the nation's history. (Jacksonville Courier, August 31, 1911)

HARRIS, JOHN B. ( Jacksonville East Cemetery)
John B. Harris died at his home in Chicago Thursday. He was stricken with paralysis about a year ago and had been bedfast ever since. Deceased was born on a farm north of Jacksonville in 1841 and spent the early years of his life in this county. Twenty-five years ago he removed to Chicago where he has since resided. When the Civil War was started Mr. Harris enlisted and served during that conflict. His health was broken during his service and he was always ailing since. He is survived by the following: A. J. Harris of this county; Thomas C. Harris of Pueblo, Colo.; Mrs. Martha J. Berry of Chicago; and Mrs. Martinette Colwell of Ottumwa, Iowa. Mr. Harris was a member of the Methodist church and of the G. A. R. and was a man highly respected by all who knew him. The remains will arrive in the city from Chicago this morning at 7 o'clock and will be taken to the undertaking parlors of John G. Reynolds. Funeral services will be held from the parlors of John G. Reynolds. Funeral services will be held from the parlors at 10:30 o'clock in charge of the Rev. G. T. Wetzel. Burial will be in Jacksonville cemetery. (Jacksonville Daily Journal - dtd. 6 Apr. 1918)

Long Time Resident Passed Away Saturday - Saw Active Service in the Great War.
William Columbus Harrison, a veteran of the civil war, passed away at his home, 332 East Lafayette avenue, at 12:45 o'clock Saturday morning. Mr. Harrison was born in Tennessee May 5, 1846 and came to this place with his parents when he was yet a child and for some time has been occupied as drayman. He was the son of Squire Harrison of Tennessee and came of a good family. He enlisted in Co. C, 64th Infantry at Manchester and saw plenty of hard service. His company had five captains during its existence, G. B. Keasey, John Keasey and Thomas C. Fullerton successively resigned, James H. Yates was mustered out as first lieutenant and Wm. Zewell remained till the end of the unpleasantness. There were also five first lieutenants. Three of these were promoted to the captaincy, one resigned, one was discharged and the other remained till the last. There were also four second lieutenants, two of whom resigned, one was promoted, and one remained till the end. The regiment saw a deal of hard service from the start to the finish. It was first begun as the First Battalion of Yates' sharpshooters but was increased to a regular regiment. It saw hard service in the region of Corinth and later about Iuka and several other places. The regiment participated in the battle of Resaca and saw a great deal of service in various parts of the south that year. The regiment followed flood on some of his daring exploits and participated in much of the fighting about Atlanta. January, 1865 it was sent to Beaufort, South Carolina, and did a considerable amount of work marching, skirmishing and following up the enemy generally. At Bentonville, the whole regiment was on the skirmish line and took a number of prisoners, losing several killed and wounded. April 10th it arrived at Raleigh and May 24 was in the grand review at Washington and in June, 1865 was mustered out and paid at Chicago. The regiment lost a number of field officers killed and wounded, while several were promoted to the position of brigadier general. Several resigned from the service and the first sergeant of Co. C deserted. Mr. Harrison was married to Elizabeth Hart in Missouri, in 1883 and he is survived by his wife, sons, O. R. Harrison of Granite City, A. D. Harrison of Springfield, and John Harrison of Jacksonville. Also one daughter, Mrs. Walter Hart of Jacksonville. He leaves sisters: Mrs. L. W. Windsor, Jacksonville; Mrs. Mary Drake of Meredosia and one step-daughter, Mrs. Joseph Richards of Ashland. Mr. Harrison was a steady, industrious man and bore a good name among those who knew him best. The funeral will be conducted at the family residence, 332 East Lafayette avenue, Monday at 2:30, by Rev. G. W. Flagge and interment will be in Jacksonville cemetery. (Jacksonville Journal, March 5, 1916)

HILLERBY, GEORGE - (1836-1916)
Deceased Who Was Eighty Years Old Spent Much of Life Here - Active in Christian Church Work.
George Hillerby, who was for a great many years a resident of Jacksonville, died Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at his home in Springfield. During his long residence in Jacksonville, Mr. Hillerby was very active in the work of the Christian church and when he removed to Springfield his church activities were conducted in his new home city. The deceased was born in 1836 in Yorkshire, England, and came to America in 1857. For a short period he was a resident of Lynnville and then came to Jacksonville, residing here until 1909, when he removed to Springfield. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having served with the 145th Illinois Infantry. He was also a member of Illini lodge No. 4, I. O. O. F., and had the record of fifty years in Odd Fellowship. For thirty years he was a member of the board of elders of the Christian Church of Jacksonville and following his removal to Springfield, because of his great popularity as a Christian worker, he was immediately elected an elder in the Springfield church. Mr. Hillerby was married in 1865 to Miss Betty Groen, whose death occurred in 1886. Two years later he was married to Miss Mary Fleming of this city, who survives him. He also leaves his aged brother, Rev. J. P. Hillerby, of this city, one nephew and two nieces. As a Jacksonville business man and as an active church worker here Mr. Hillerby held a high place in the estimate of his fellow citizens. He was not ostentatious in his Christianity but so lived that men and women who met him instinctively knew that he lived an earnest sincere Christianity. During the long years of his life he was active in good works and the influence of his life will long remain a fragrant memory. Altho Mr. Hillerby had been in feeble health for two years, due to the infirmities of age, he was here July 4 with his wife, Dr. and Mrs. G. A. Hulett and Mrs. Lizzie Henke of Springfield to attend a family gathering at the home of the Hulett sisters north of the city. A number of his Jacksonville friends greeted him at that time and while there realized in a measure his weakened condition, they had no thought that the end of his useful life journey was so nearly at an end. The funeral services will be held in Central Christian church in this city at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. (Jacksonville Journal, August 9, 1916)

HOWELL, PIERSON  (Diamond Grove Cemetery)
Was Found Unconscious In a Shed in the Rear of His Residence - Death Occurred Before Arrival of Physician - Coroner Rose Held Inquest.
Pierson Howell, one of the city's best known citizens, died suddenly at his home, 428 South Mauvaisterre street early Monday morning. Mr. Howell had been complaining for several days. Monday morning he went to a shed in the rear of his residence. When he did not return his stepdaughter went to look for him and found him in an unconscious condition. Before a physician could be summoned he was dead. Circumstances surrounding his death were such that Coroner Rose was notified and empaneled a jury and held an inquest. The jury was composed of D. T. Heimlich, foreman; J. F. Farra, F. J. Blackburn, Isaac G. Lazenby, B. C. Lair and Keith Montgomery, Clerk. The testimony of Dr. P. C. Thompson, who was Mr. Howell's physician, and Harold J. Johnson was heard. Dr. Thompson testified as to the deceased calling him last week and complaining of a pain in the left side. Witnesses said he made an examination which revealed arterio sclerosis. Dr. Thompson gave as his opinion that death was caused by angina pectoris. The testimony of Mr. Johnson did not throw any light on the matter. He told of being summoned by telephone from his residence, 1239 South East street to the residence of Mrs. Brown where he found Mr. Howell in an unconscious condition. He summoned Dr. Thompson who pronounced Mr. Howell dead upon his arrival. After hearing the testimony the jury returned a verdict that death resulted from angina pectoris. Pierson Howell was the son of Abner and Anna Chandler Howell and was born in Newark, N. J., March 4, 1846. He came to Illinois early in life and for many years has been a resident of Jacksonville. He was united in marriage in Springfield in 1868 to Mrs. Mary Thompson who survives him together with one stepdaughter, Mrs. Edward Brown of 428 South Mauvaisterre street. He also leaves one sister, Mrs. Anna Cramer of Morristown, N.J., and two granddaughters, Mrs. A. R. Porter of Toronto, Can., and Miss Ruth Brown of this city. Mr. Howell was a tinner by trade and was one of the best known men in that trade in the city. He was for many years in the employ of the late Irving Clement and in recent years has been employed by the George S. Gay Hardware company. He was a member of the Odd Fellows. Mr. Howell served in the 133rd Ill. Infantry in the Civil war and was a member of Matt Starr Post, G. A. R. Funeral services will be held from 428 South Mauvaisterre street Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock with burial in Diamond Grove cemetery. (Jacksonville Daily Journal, Tuesday Morning, November 13, 1917)

HOPPER, HASSELL  (Diamond Grove Cemetery)
Many Friends Assembled at Home For Last Solemn Rites - Mr. Madden Told of Long and Useful Life.
Funeral services for Hassell Hopper were held Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the family home, 641 South Diamond Street, the Rev. F. B. Madden, pastor of Grace M. E. church, was in charge and he was assisted by the Rev. M. L. Pontius, pastor of the Christian church. Mrs. H. C. Woltman gave appropriate solo numbers to accompaniment of Mrs. Lucy D. Kolp. The floral gifts, brought in beautiful profusion, were cared for by Mrs. Charles Minter, Miss Emma Hunter, Mrs. Alma Chrisman, Miss Anna May Wilson and Miss Nell Hopper. Burial was made in Diamond Grove cemetery. Matt Starr post G. A. R. were present and conducted the services at the grave. The bearers were Thomas Fox, James Wilson, William Hopper, Robert Hopper, Thomas V. Hopper and Thomas Elsome.
Of Sturdy English Ancestry.
"The life of our departed brother", said Mr. Madden, in the course of an obituary sketch, "was a link in that chain of Anglo-Saxon humanity which binds together two continents and two countries. Hassell Hopper was born on the 22nd day of February, 1840, at Scarborough, England. The home of his great grandfather was one of John Wesley's regular preaching places in the days when Methodists were without a home, and had no places of worship even in England. When no preacher was present this good man would enter the pulpit that his own hands had made and officiate as a local minister. Mr. Hopper's grandfather was a prosperous farmer and his father was a well-to-do butcher. His parents, Thomas and Jane Poad Hopper, belonged to the sturdy English yeomen and were staunch Methodists. "In the beginning days of Wesleyan Methodism converts received the sacrament at the hands of the clergy of the church of England. Hassell Hopper was the first of his father's children to be baptized by a Methodist minister.
Early Religious Influence
"Born of such noble ancestry, Mr. Hopper spent a happy childhood amid the beautiful rural scenes of 'Merrie England,' and in the religious atmosphere created by the great Wesleyan revival. At the age of sixteen he came with his parents to America. Immediately on reaching this country the parents brought the family of eleven children and settled on a farm in the neighborhood of Sinclair. Mr. Madden continued with an account of Mr. Hopper's military career and his life as a soldier for three eventful years. At the battle of Resaca Mr. Hopper received a wound in the knee and the next day while on a forced march, with his would still bleeding, he suffered a sun stroke. Left with impaired health he was taken prisoner but was soon exchanged and granted a brief parole. He never lost interest in the comradeship of the army and was an active and honored member of Matt Starr post G. A. R. The sketch was continued: "After return from the army Mr. Hopper was a member for nearly twelve years of the firm of Lambert and Hopper and later bought a farm near Sinclair, where he lived for several years. When he came again in Jacksonville Mr. Hopper became associated with his brother, Charles Hopper, in the shoe business. A few years ago he retired from active business life and has enjoyed the well earned recompense of days well spent in useful endeavor."
Life Its Own Eulogy.
In conclusion Mr. Madden said: "His beautiful life, with its pleasant memories and hallowed influence, is its own eloquent eulogy. This is the priceless legacy of his widow and his children. Theirs also is the sympathy and appreciation of the church and community. May our Heavenly Father stimulate us to emulate his virtues and to press the battle of righteousness to the gates of the evening in the valiant spirit of our fallen comrade. "However it be, it seem to me,
'Tis only noble to be good,
Kind hearts are more than coronets
And simple faith than Norman blood."

John Thomas Hickman, an old resident of this city died at Our Savior's hospital Sunday morning at 5:50 o'clock. Deceased was born May 26, 1836, and was the son of John T. and Rebecca Crum Hickman. He was a member of Central Christian church and of Matt Starr post G. A. R. He followed the occupation of farming for many years and was highly respected in the community in which he lived. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Noah Brown of Sinclair. He also leaves one grandson, Emmett H. Brown and three brothers, James Hickman, of Cox Creek, Ky., Walter Hickman of Gainesville, Texas, and Rufus Hickman of Whitesborough, Texas. Funeral services will be held from Hebron church this afternoon at 2 o'clock in charge of the Rev. Mr. Wetzel. (Jacksonville Daily Journal, July 3, 1917)
Funeral services for John Hickman were held from Hebron church Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock in charge of the Rev. G. T. Wetzel. Music was burnished by the church choir. The flowers were cared for by Anna Mail Wilson, Laura Fox and Eunice Hopper. Burial was in Hebron cemetery the bearers being, James Wilson, Newton Wilson, Albert Hopper, William Hopper, Richard Ogle and Morris Jumper. (Jacksonville Daily Journal, July 4, 1918)

HERALD, A. B.  (Diamond Grove Cemetery)
Born in Germany Mr. Herald Fought in Revolution of 1848, Escaping Afterward to America.
A. B. Herald, aged 86 years, died at 12 o'clock Thursday night at the home of his son E. D. Herald, 1000 Edgehill Road. He had been in failing health for some time and death was not unexpected. A More extended obituary will appear later. Funeral arrangements have not been made. Mr. Herald was born in Germany and it was as a young man of eighteen years that he enlisted in the revolutionary movement of 1848 when the German people, influenced by the republican ideas spread by the French revolution of 1830, rose in strong force and opposed a government which, unrestricted by written constitutions, was growing more and more oppressive. In some of the German states the year 1848 marked the granting of the first constitutions. Mr. Herald fought as a revolutionist in the streets of Berlin and could well recall how cannon were placed in position and how many of his comrades met death when the order came to fire upon the insurrectionary force. Thru the secret kindness of a German official, Mr. Herald was enabled to make his way, unmolested, to America. (Jacksonville Daily Journal, Friday, January 12, 1917)
Funeral services for A. B. Herald were held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the residence of E. D. Herald, 1000 Edge Hill road in charge of the Rev. F. B. Madden, pastor of Grace M. E. church. Mrs. James Mahon gave two solo selections to piano accompaniment by Miss Geraldine Sieber. The flowers were cared for by Mrs. W. T. Clarkson, Mrs. T. A. Ebrey, Mrs. G. A. Sieber and Miss Marion Fairbank. Burial was made in Diamond Grove Cemetery. The bearers were Capt. W. A. Kirby, J. J. Reeve, E. A. Hearn, J. I. Graham, M. E. Gilbert and W. T. Clarkson. Mr. Herald was born in Saxony, Germany, May 16, 1830, and came to this country as a young man and soon after the outbreak of the Civil War enlisted in Co. C of the 101st Illinois Infantry. Surviving Mr. Herald are the widow and five children, Fred C. Herald of Peoria, Edward D. Herald, Mrs. Agnes Hart and Charles F. Herald, Jacksonville, and W. H. Herald. (Jacksonville Daily Journal, January 16, 1917)

The Funeral of the Late A. H. Hocking Largely Attended Wednesday. The popularity of the late proprietor of the New Pittsfield House, Col. A. H. Hocking, whose funeral occurred here Wednesday, was amply attested by the large crowd of friends who came to the house of Mrs. Burridge, on West Court street, to see the last sad rites performed over his dead body. The funeral party arrived from Pittsfield on the morning train from the west and were met by a number of Jacksonville gentlemen, former friends of the deceased. Among the visitors who came to do honor to the memory of him, whose enthusiasm and public spirit have done so much for Pike county's capital, were Judge Edw. Doocey, Samuel Hirsheimer, Attorney J. G. Cummings, J. F. Stobie, Wm. Pringle, Geo. Groves, J. M. Bush, Jr., the editor of the Democrat, J. D. Hirsheimer, Jas. H. Crane, Simeon Fender, Jacob Windmiller and C. R. Lame. At nine o'clock the residence of his mother, Mrs. Burridge, was filled with friends. Rev. Father Brady, and Father Miles Sweeney conducted the solemn burial service, and at his close the bearers, Judge Doocey, J. G. Cummings, Wm. Pringle, J. M. Bush, Jr., Jas. H. Crane and Sheriff Jacob Windmiller, carried the coffin to the hearse. Behind them followed the honorary pall bearers, John Loomis, H. O. Cassell, W. H. Corcoran, Chas. Degen, Matt Miller, E. C. Vickery, Dan'l Williams and John R. Knollenberg. The remains were interred in the Catholic Cemetery, the deceased having before his death connected himself with that church. No greater testimonial of the popularity of the deceased in the town which he adopted as a home could have been given than was paid by the Pittsfield delegation in their presence. And it was deserved, for during Mr. Hocking's few years in that city he had made great changes in the hotel of which he was the lessee, and all of them for the city's good. He had gained the confidence and esteem of the people so thoroughly that they had made him one of the city officials, and there was no one who might be considered his enemy. His wife, and his son-in-law, Mr. Ed. Stokes, of the National Hotel, Peoria, will continue to run the hotel in Pittsfield. (3 July 1890)
Death of A. H. Hocking
A. H. Hocking for many years a resident of this city, died in Pittsfield yesterday. Mr. Hocking was widely known as the proprietor years ago of the Southern Hotel on College avenue. For several years he has been proprietor of the New Pittsfield House of Pittsfield. He had just completed extensive improvements of the house and gotten it in splendid condition. During his residence in Pittsfield he had become one of its most enterprising citizens and his loss will be deeply felt in that community amongst business men. A telegram received Monday morning was the first announcement of his sickness which was typhoid fever and heart disease. His mother, Mrs. Burridge, went over on the freight train Sunday, and is expected home with his body today. The notice of Mr. Hockings' funeral will be announced hereafter. (1 July 1890)

J. H. Goldsmith, One of Waverly's Respected Citizens Succumbs To Heart Failure John H. Goldsmith was born February 28th 1839, near Pisgah, Ill., and died at his home in Waverly, Ill., Tuesday, November 14th, 1911, at 1:30 p.m., aged 72 years, 8 months and 14 days. His health had been failing for about a year as a result of heart trouble and only a month ago he was obliged to resign as city clerk on that account. His death came sudden and rather unexpected. He had eaten his dinner as usual and afterward had taken a short walk in the yard, when he returned into the house and remarked that he was feeling badly, and after being assisted to bed, he at once lost consciousness, and lived only a few moments. He was married in Waverly, Ill., November 7th, 1871, to Miss Nannie B. Morris. To this union were born three sons, as follows: Bert M., born December 13, 1875; Branch P., born November 28, 1880; and George B., born April 25, 1883. The oldest, Bert, died several years ago by drowning in Illinois river. His wife and two sons survive, besides three sisters, Mrs. M. E. Rogers of this city; Miss Ella E. Goldsmith of Chicago; and Mrs. Anna Ainsworth of Havana, Ill. He united with the First Baptist church in this city in the year 1873, and remained a member until his death. Mr. Goldsmith ha the distinction of being the first city clerk of Waverly, the election occurring April 16, 1878, upon the city's first adoption, and during his life held four terms as such. His ability in this office was shown by the accurate and straight-forward manner in which he conducted the duties connected with it, and he was recognized as the best clerk the city ever had. He enlisted in Co. E, 14th Illinois Volunteer Infantry at Petersburg, Illinois, May 25, 1861, as a soldier in the Civil War, and served until the close of the war. He was taken prisoner and confined in the famous and horrible Andersonville prison for a period of six months. The deceased was a man of exceptional ability, talented, a great reader, and unusually versed on the topics of the day. He was an interesting conversant, and took exceeding pleasure in giving information and advice to all who desired. Just a few days before he died he remarked to his wife that he was ready to go and had nothing to regret. He was one of Waverly's pioneers, respected by all its citizens, and his absence from among us will be universally regretted but his memory will ever be cherished. Funeral services were conducted at the First Baptist church, Thursday, Nov. 16, at 2:30 in the afternoon, Rev. P. H. Aldrich, pastor, delivering the sermon. The funeral ceremonies were under the direction of the two orders of which he was a member. In his youth he acquired the printer's trade and was employed on the Illinois State Register for several years. He then returned to Waverly and established the "Waverly Times" in the seventies, and a few years later his paper was purchased by M. M. Meacham, Mr. Goldsmith accepting a position with the new proprietor, remaining with him until Mr. Meacham disposed of his interests to Mr. F. B. Ritchie. In the course of several years he took a position with Mr. Ritchie, and from time to time was connected with the paper in a practical and journalistic way up to about nine months ago. "Uncle" John, as the writers best knew him, took special pride in remarking that his was a long and steady record as a printer, having rounded out over 50 years at the trade. He was Commander of the John W. Ross Post, G. A. R. at the time of his death, and a member of the Modern Woodmen. No. 138.

W. H. H. Harris Expires White Sitting in Automobile, Heart Trouble Cause of Death.
William H. H. Harris of Loami died suddenly in his automobile in front of the City hotel in Waverly about noon last Saturday, June 26. Deceased had driven to Waverly in company with two little girls who brought butter and other supplies to the hotel, doing some repair work on his car on the way to town. He talked with Mr. Curtiss, proprietor of the hotel and said he was not feeling well and believed he would rest in his car. About 1 o'clock a member of the band playing at the chautauqua called Mr. Curtiss's attention toHarris and said he believed something was wrong. Mr. Curtiss made an examination and found life was apparently extinct. Dr. Paul Allyn was called and upon his arrival made an examination and pronounced Mr. Harris dead. Coroner Rose of Jacksonville was notified and immediately came out and held an inquest. The jury was composed of C. C. Courtney, foreman; V. G. Keplinger, H. E. Jolly, Elmer Meacham, W. E. Miller, and W. A. Taylor, clerk. The testimony of Dr. Paul Allyn, Cyrus Curtiss and J. C. Maginn was taken. After hearing the evidence the jury returned a verdict that death was caused by heart trouble. Mr. Harris was 79 years old and was a resident of Loami. For many years he was a citizen of Waverly. After leaving here he became postmaster and proprietor of a store at Maxwell, moving to Loami about a year ago. He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Henry Clark of St. Louis and Mrs. John Stevens of Loami. Funeral services were held at the M. E. church in Loami Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, in charge of Rev. Mr. Henninger. Interment was in East cemetery at Waverly, the Waverly Masonic lodge being in charge of the services at the grave. (1920)

In Memoriam.
ALBERT HART, youngest son of Leonard and Mary C. Hart, was born in Windsor, Vt., October 14th, 1842. At a very early age the family removed to Cornish, N. H., where they resided until March 1st, 1857, when they emigrated to Cass county, Ills. Here Mr. Hart remained in the family of his father following the pursuits of agriculture, until a few months subsequent to the breaking out of the "Great Rebellion" when he volunteered his services for the suppression of the rebellion. He remained with his company (Co. A, 114th Ill. Inf.) Until the close of the war, being honorably discharged from the army and returning to the peaceful pursuits of home. His father having removed from Cass county to Morgan county during his absence in the army, and settled near Waverly, Mr. Hart came to Waverly; but having contracted a severe disease of the eyes during the latter part of his army career he was for several months confined to a dark room. Faithful treatment enabled him, after several months, to enter into business; and forming a partnership with Mr. Chauncey Lankton in the grocery line he faithfully and energetically pursued this branch of business for more than a year. In the meantime (Oct. 31st, 1867) he was united in marriage with Miss Mattie E. Lacy, who still survives him. Subsequent to his business pursuit in the grocery line he was actively engaged in various other pursuits, always manifesting the same zeal which characterized him in the last days of his active business life. For more than a year prior to his death he was attached with what he called the "whooping cough," but the progress and final termination of the disease proved the same to have been consumption of the worst type. About the first of May last he started for the south, hoping for a change and improvement in the change of climate. May 10th he reached Clement's Station, Ala. After a hard and wearisome journey of a week or more. The services of a physician of high repute in that section were engaged, but after lingering twenty days, during which time every effort possible was made to stay the ravages of the disease, he quietly passed away to that world where sickness and death are forever unknown. Although Mr. Hart had never made a public profession of religion, his correspondence with his family during his last days, and after his arrival in Alabama, indicate a spirit of calm resignation to the Divine will, a trust in the mercy of God, and a fearlessness of death, such as is realized only by those whose "peace is made with God," and whose "minds are stayed" on Jehovah. The remains of Mr. Albert Hart, who died on the 30th of last May, in Alabama, arrived here on last Tuesday morning. The body, we are informed, will be kept at his home till Thursday, when it is expected that a funeral sermon will be preached by Rev. M. P. Clark of Carlinville, after which the body will be interred in the east cemetery. (May 1877)

James M. and Julia Harris Die
Prominent Farmer and Civil War Veteran Succumbs to Stroke on Day of Sister-in-law's Funeral.
Two of this community's well known and highly respected citizens passed away during the past week, Mr. Julia C. Harris succumbing to a lingering illness last Saturday, and her brother-in-law, James M. Harris dying suddenly about 8 o'clock Monday morning. Mr. Harris had not been in good health and at the above mention hour his daughter, Miss Mabel, was awakened and upon going to this room found him breathing his last. He was lying as if asleep and it is supposed he was stricken while sleeping.
James M. Harris
James Madison Harris, son of William P. and Melinda Harris, was born in Macoupin County, Illinois, May 22, 1844, and died at his home in Maxwell, March 31, 1924, at the age of 79 years, 10 months and 9 days. At the age of twenty-one, he enlisted in Co. I, 17th Illinois Cavalry, and was captured and sent to Andersonville Prison, where he spent eleven months of untold hardships, known only to those who were held prisoners at that place. He was honorably discharged from the army in May 1865, when he returned to his home in Sangamon County. In the same year, he was married to Mary E. Sturgis, to which union four children were born, three of whom are living, the oldest son, Fred, preceding him in death three years ago. Mr. Harris was a strong advocate of the Republican party, and took active interest in its success. He was a Mason for over fifty years, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic since its organization. At an early age he united with the Cumberland Presbyterian church, later transferring his membership to the Congregational church in this city, of which church he was a member at the time of his death. Deceased is survived by his widow; one son, Thomas Clifton, and two daughters. Mrs. Josie Reynolds and Miss Mabel Harris; also ten grandchildren and thirteen great grandchildren. (Waverly Journal, April. 4, 1924)

W. T. Givens, Jr., died at the home of his sister, Miss Lizzie Givens, in this city July 11, 1905, at 8:40 o'clock a.m. He was born June 30, 1843, at the old homestead on the brow of the Givens hill, where he lived and grew to manhood with the exception of two years, which the family, in his early childhood, spent in Springfield Ills. In the summer of 1862 he with thousands of others responded to the call for "300,000 more" and at the close of the war came to his home and loved ones. In 1866 he was united in marriage to Miss Emma Kent, of Waverly, who died in North Dakota in the fall of 1895. To them were born five children: W. E., better known as Nick, who died Aug 22, 1894, from wounds received while trying to board a train at Jamestown, N.D.; Hattie, now Mrs. Lee Chilton, of Island Grove, Ill.; Robert Low, deceased; Allie, now Mrs. J. T. Douglas, of South Dakota, and one having died in infancy. In 1862 he moved to Sedgewick Co., Kan., but in 1877 returned to Illinois. In 1886 he received an appointment from President Cleveland as Indian farmer in N.D. where he has since resided until December last, when he, broken in health, came to his childhood home and friends to die. As a boy, Tom had many friends, as a man and citizen they numbered no less. During a meeting at the M. E. church, south, since his return, he sought and found Christ, and at once had his name placed on the church record. This has been a great comfort to him since then and when asked the morning before he died if the way was clear, he replied, with his eyes bright and opened wide, "Oh yes, all the way through, and it will be but a short time." On his last birthday he said "Oh, what a happy birthday it would be if the transfer from earth to glory would only come." He leaves two daughters, one brother, two sisters, and eight grandchildren with a host of kindred and friends to miss him. He begged that we mourn not for him. Funeral services were held at the M.E. church, South, Wednesday morning, conducted by Rev. R. J. Watts, presiding elder, with interment in Franklin cemetery.
W. T. Givens, an old and highly respected citizen of this county, died Tuesday morning, July 12th, at the home of his sister, Miss Lizzie Givens, after a lingering illness of several months of a complication of diseases, chief of which was heart trouble. His death has been expected for several weeks, owing to the nature of his trouble, but with a strong constitution and careful nursing his life has been prolonged. William Thomas Givens was born June 30, 1843, at what is known by everyone as the Givens farm, three miles west of this city. When three years of age his parents moved to Springfield and remained two years, where they conducted a hotel near the corner of Third and Adams streets returning to the farm in 1848. When the call came for volunteers to go to the front he enlisted in Company H, 101st Ill. Infantry, and served three years as a private. In 1866 he was married to Miss Emma Kent, of this city, who died in 1895. Five children were born to this union, three of whom have since died. Politically Mr. Givens was a democrat and was recognized as a leader of the party in Morgan county. Realizing his sterling value as a citizen, farmer and politician, he was appointed by President Cleveland, in the year 1886, as an instructor to the Indians upon farming in North Dakota. He remained in North Dakota until last December, when he was obliged to surrender all his interests in the north and return home on account of poor health and has gradually declined ever since. He is survived by his two daughters, Mrs. Lee Chilton, of Island Grove and Mrs. J. F. Douglas, of Seim, South Dakota; two sisters, Miss Lizzie Givens and Mrs. M. A. Woodmansee, and one brother Robert S. Givens, of this city. The funeral was held at the M.E. Church South, of which the deceased was a member, at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning, Presiding Elder Watts, assisted by Rev. C. M. Barton, officiating. The burial took place at the family burying ground near Franklin. (July 13, 1905)

Friday, May 13, 1932
Aged Civil War Vet Is Called
Myron Gold Died Tuesday Evening at Springfield Hospital at Age of 89 Years
Myron Swift Gold, second son of Sedgewick and Chloe Ann Peet Gold, was born on a farm, four miles east of Waverly, Illinois, December 1, 1842 and died at the Springfield Hospital, Tuesday, May 10, 1932, at the age of 89 years, 5 months and 9 days. He was a descendant of Major Nathan Gold, one of the first settlers of Fairfield, Conn., in the 17th century. Mr. Gold attended the Waverly Seminary and taught school for a short time. He, with his older brother and father, entered the service of the Civil War, being a member of Co. G, 101st Infantry. He was taken ill soon after entering service; he spent six weeks in the government hospital, was discharged, then returned home. His brother Henry was accidentally shot by a comrade in camp. Following the war, Mr. Gold and his father lived together on their farm, his mother having died in his youth, and his younger brother, Edward, being in the East. On this farm Mr. Gold lived his entire life, with the exception of a number of years spent at the home of his uncle, E. C. Peet. Mr. Gold was a member of the Congregational church in Waverly. He was a conscientious christian in attending the services of the church. Especially did he enjoy the Sabbath School; he was an excellent Bible student. He was a great lover of music. Even at his advanced age, he enjoyed playing his own accompaniments to the old familiar sacred songs. Mr. Gold's brother, Edward, of New York, preceded him in death on October 30, 1931. His surviving relatives are his cousins: Charles Peet, of Minneapolis, Minn.; C. E. Peet, of St. Louis, Mo.; and Mrs. Lillie Peet Allen, of Waverly, Illinois. Funeral services were held at the Congregational church Thursday afternoon, May 12, at 2 o'clock, in charge of Rev. H. C. Munch, pastor of the First M. E. church. Music was furnished by Miss Bertha Parkin and Mrs. F. H. Curtiss, who sang "One Sweetly Solemn Thought", "Nearer My God To Thee", and "In the Garden", with Miss Bess Bradford as accompanist. They also sang "Going Down the Valley" at the cemetery. The pall bearers were Fred Parkinson, Lester Parkinson, Edgar Mason, Fred File, Earl Bridges and H. E. Deatherage. The flowers were cared for by Mrs. Lester Parkinson, Mrs. Spencer Clark, Misses Madge Deatherage, Nannie Meacham, Mildred Rohrer and Erma Mitchell. Burial was in Waverly cemetery.

WILLIAM GRAY of Yoeman Neighborhood Dies at Age 91 Years - Born in Ireland
William Gray, a retired farmer and stock raiser of Morgan county, residing three miles northeast of Franklin in the Yoeman neighborhood, died at 3:30 o'clock Monday morning, November 15th, at the age of 91 years. Mr. Gray was born in Cavan county, Ireland May 30, 1829, the eighth child of Robert and Jane Gray, on the little farm, situated in one of the best counties in Ireland. Mr. Gray grew to manhood, possessing that sturdy vigor peculiar to the Irish people, and to better his condition in life in the spring of 1849 he sailed for America. Arriving in New York he made his way into the state of Ohio remaining two years. He then plunged farther westward, and settled in Morgan county, Illinois, where he first worked by the month, and also became employed as a school teacher. In 1854 he was united in marriage to Mrs. R. M. E. Stewart of this county. She formerly was a resident of Tennessee. Shortly after the marriage Mr. Gray bought land in Sangamon comprising 70 acres, where he lived seven years, and then moved back to Morgan county on the property he now owns. Wishing to give his son the advantage of a college education he moved to Lincoln, Logan county, Illinois, where he resided seven years. In the autumn of 1875 he returned again to Morgan county and settled on the farm property heretofore mentioned, and has become a most extensive land owner. Three children blessed this union. Albert H. and Nora preceded their father in death. The wife and one son John E. survive him. John E. lives on the home place, having the confidence of the community. He has had several offices, township treasurer, etc. The decedent was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 o'clock Wednesday afternoon at the Franklin Methodist church. Interment will be in the Franklin cemetery. Friends are requested to omit flowers. Jacksonville, Ill., November 16, 1920

Old Veteran Passed Away
William M. Gray, a former resident of Waverly died at his home in Franklin, Monday morning at 10:30 o'clock, at the age of 69 years. Mr. Gray was a veteran of the Civil War, seeing more than four years service in that conflict. He enlisted while yet in his teens and was mustered out of the service at the close of the war as a First Lieutenant of Infantry. Mr. Gray is survived by his wife and three of the five children born to him and Mrs. Gray. For over thirty-five years the family lived in the Waverly and Franklin communities, having resided the past four months in Franklin. Mr. Gray was a staunch Christian man and strong in the counsel and work of the church. The funeral was held Wednesday at 11:30 a..m. in the Baptist church at Franklin. Rev. Asa Stamper of Girard officiating, assisted by Rev. Asher of Jacksonville. Interment was in Franklin cemetery. (Waverly Journal, Friday, Feb. 28, 1913)

Dies At Age of 87 Years
Former Waverly Citizen Died Early Sunday Morning at Passavant Hospital. Buried in Waverly Tuesday.
W. J. Hairgrove died at Passavant hospital in Jacksonville at 12:45 o'clock Sunday morning at 12:45 o'clock Sunday morning, following an illness of several months duration. William Joseph Hairgrove was the son of William and Sarah Hairgrove, born May 10, 1832, in Troup County, Georgia, near the town of West Point, and died at Passavant hospital in Jacksonville, Illinois, July 27, 1919. He moved with his parents to Morgan county in the year 1842 and on the 27th day of May, 1854 was married to Minerva Jane Whitlock who died May 22, 1916. There were four children born to them, John Newton of Virden; Chas. Edwin who was killed in a railroad accident in 1892, Elmer Ellsworth of Kansas City, Mo. and William Nichols of Jacksonville, three of which survive. He served three years in the Civil War, with honorable discharge, having been a volunteer from Morgan county in the 101st Illinois Volunteers. He spent a greater part of his life on a farm near Waverly but moved from it to Waverly in 1884, where he resided until six years ago when he moved to Jacksonville to be with his son, William N. Hairgrove. Deceased was early connected with the Baptist church, but in his declining years was a member of the M. E. church South. Three brothers survive him, Columbus of Jacksonville; Francis Marion of Brownsville, Neb. And Henry Clay of Parsons, Kansas. Funeral services were held at 8:00 o'clock Tuesday morning in the M.E. church South in Waverly, Rev. R. J. Watts officiating. Burial was in East cemetery. (Aug. 1, 1919

Aug. 22, 1902
Thomas Jefferson Hart was born in Hart's Prairie Sept. 22, 1840 and died Aug. 15, 1902 in the 62nd year of his life. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, 22nd regiment of Ill. Vol. Infantry and served three years and at his death was drawing a pension from his grateful government. He was married to Miss Millie E. Dugger Dec. 23, 1864. To this union was born 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls, 2 of whom died in infancy. His first wife died Nov. 30, 1874. He was again married in 1875 June 17 to Miss Mary C. Butler. One child was born to this union and died in infancy. He professed faith in Christ in early life and was quite a while identified with the Methodist church, until 1869 he united with the Hart's Prairie Baptist church and became an active member. He was a member of the building committee to erect the house of worship. He was, at the time of his death a trustee for the church property, was the church treasurer, deacon and Messenger elect to represent the church at the annual meeting 3 weeks off. His disease was appendicitis. He was at church a few days before his death. He was only sick six days. We may say of him he was a faithful husband, a devoted father and brother. Our loss in the church and community is simply irreparable. He leaves his faithful wife and four sorrowing children, and 13 grandchildren also three brothers, Wm. in Idaho, Harvey of Edinburgh and J. D., living on the old homestead and a score of other friends and relatives all who knew him to mourn as only the sorely bereaved can mourn. He was also a member of the Grand Army and the remnant of the 32nd was holding their reunion at Scottville only 3 miles away. He died at 7:30 a.m. The funeral was conducted by Elders W. T. Hart and Fitzgerald at the Baptist church Sunday morning to an immense congregation, more than half of which could not get into the church. Mr. Braker with the choir from the Disciple church furnished the music. Interment at the South cemetery. The floral tributes were numerous. Red Cloud.

John Henderson was born in Marietta, Ohio, in the year 1844, and died at the Soldiers' Home in Quincy, Ill., on Monday, July 1, 1907, at 8 a.m., aged 63 years. He was first married to Miss Kate Pilcher of Athens county, Ohio. To this union two sons were born, Edward, of Chatham, and Frank, of Springfield. His second marriage was to Miss Sarah Bean, also of Athens county, O., which occurred Feb. 7, 1875, and to this union was born three children, two daughters, dying in infancy, and one son, Robert, who resides with his mother in this city. Deceased is survived by his wife and three sons, also one adopted daughter, Mrs. Walter Luttrell of Prentice. In 1861 he enlisted as a soldier in Co. B, 36th Ohio, volunteer infantry, and served during the Civil War until honorably discharged in 1865. He had lived in Waverly for many years, and at one time served as city superintendent of streets. He was a charter member of the local G. A. R., and also a member of the M. W. A. of this city. He had been in failing health for the past three years, and about two years ago went to the Soldiers' and Sailor's Home at Quincy, Ill., where he was tenderly cared for until death came to his relief. He joined the M. E. church in the year 1877, and remained a member until his death. Robert Henderson went to Quincy on Tuesday to bring the remains to this city for burial, the body arriving here on Wednesday, via the 7:44 a.m. C. P. & St. L. train, accompanied by the three sons. Funeral services were held at 2:30 p.m. at the First M.E. church, conducted by the Rev. C. M. Barton, followed by interment in the East cemetery. (July 5, 1907)

David Hobaker was born in Wesenburg, Germany, Dec. 25, 1834, and died at his home in Franklin, Ill., Oct. 7, 1903, aged 68 yrs. 9 mo. 12 da. He came to the United States in 1854, locating and living in Virginia for two years, when he came to Morgan county, Ill., settling near Murrayville. In 1859 he was converted and joined the Bethel M.E. church and lived a consistent christian to the time of his death. On Feb. 21, 1860, he was married to Miss Lucy Crumpler, who survives him. Nine children were born in the home of this husband and wife, two of them dying in infancy. The surviving children are Mrs. J.H. DeLong, of Mud Prairie, Wm. Of California, who could not reach here in time for the funeral, Mrs. Henry Jones, of Franklin, Mrs. Curtiss Cook, of Indian Territory, who could not come on account of sickness in her family, Lewis, whose whereabouts are not definitely known, John, who lives in Peoria and Mrs. J. W. Henniger, of Springfield. Mr. Hobaker had no relatives in the country of his adoption, in whose services he enlisted in the 2nd Illinois Light artillery, in 1861, and in whose services he continued as a soldier until honorably discharged in 1864. In 1884 he moved to the vicinity of Franklin and has lived there and hear Waverly ever since. For about ten years he had been failing in health and for the last two or three years had been quite feeble. He was a true christian who met the last enemy with a shout of triumph and a song of victory, and who has left to his family, for their comfort, what is worth more than stocks and bonds and houses and lands - the example of an upright godly life. He has taken with him the only good thing, which anyone can take from this world, a christian character. The funeral was conducted from the M.E. church in Franklin, Thursday afternoon in charge of the pastor, Rev. M.L. Browning, and was largely attended, the deceased having been well liked and respected by all. Interment was made in the Franklin cemetery. The pall bearers were H. G. Keplinger, Jno. Whitlock, M. F. Short, W. N. Criswell, Chamberlain Belk and Philo Barto. (Oct. 16, 1903)

Y. M. Hodgerson was born in Sangamon county, Ill., Jan. 25, 1839, and died Feb. 19, 1908, making him 69 years and 22 days old. He was first married to Miss M. E. Park, Oct. 18, 1860, who died Oct. 1, 1861. July 18, 1863, he was again married to Almira McClane, who survives him. To this union, were born four children; a son S. T. Hodgerson, born May 23, 1864, died July 15 of the same year. A daughter, A. L. born Feb. 14, 1866 and died Dec. 14, 1893, at the age of 27 years; leaving two sons, Clarence and Earl Coons. Lennie and Will Hodgerson with the two grandsons survive. Bro. Hodgerson became a Christian when a young man and united with the Presbyterian church, but soon after the second marriage in 1863, united with the Baptist church and lived a faithful and consistent Christian until death called him to his reward. He served in the office of deacon of his church about fifteen years, and was senior deacon at the time of his death. As a soldier of his country, he enlisted at Loami, as a private in Company F, 10th Illinois cavalry, Oct. 18, 1861, and was discharged June 28, 1862, for disability. Besides his immediate family, he leaves two brothers, Geo. Hodgerson of Virden, and Anderson Hodgerson of New Berlin; three sisters, Margaret Liston of Commerce, Texas, Martha Buchanan, Muskogee, Okla., and Nancy Matthews, Maxwell, Ill., who mourn his departure. Two brothers and two sisters preceded him in death. He leaves many other relatives and friends to mourn their loss. Funeral services were held at the Baptist church last Friday afternoon at one o'clock, Rev. G. W. Claxon, pastor of the church officiating and interment in East Cemetery.
We wish to extend our most heartfelt thanks to the friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted us during the illness and in the time of death of our dear husband and father. Mrs. Almira Hodgerson and children. (Feb. 28, 1908)

Frank M. Hudson was born in Loami township, Sangamon county, Illinois, November 14, 1842, and died at his home in this city Wednesday evening, July 24, 1907, after an illness covering a period of nearly two years, although his ailment did not assume an acute form until a few months before his death. On Feb. 18, 1880, he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Tait of Decatur, Illinois. Three children were born to this union, two daughters and one son - one, the youngest daughter, dying about thirteen years ago. The surviving children, with their mother, are Jennie and Murray. For many years Mr. Hudson was a prominent school teacher in Sangamon county, besides serving the county in an official capacity as coroner, and again as a deputy sheriff. About thirteen years ago the family moved to this city making it their home. Mr. Hudson lived a retired life among us until a few years ago, when he was elected a justice of the peace for the city. At the expiration of his term he was re-elected to serve his second term at the time death removed him. He was of a generous and genial disposition, and made friends of all with whom he came in contact. In addition to his family, Mr. Hudson is survived by one sister, Mrs. Rachel Meacham, of this city, and Mr. Andrew Hudson of Loami township. Funeral services were held at the family home at 2 p.m. Friday, July 26th. Elder J. A. Conlee officiating. Interment was made in East cemetery.
To all those who so kindly and willingly assisted us during the long illness and death of our dear husband and father, we extend our heartfelt thanks. Margaret Hudson, Jennie & Murray.

Enterprise, March 9, 1905
Our people grieved last Monday on learning of the death of their old and esteemed townsman and friend, B. M. Hughes, which occurred the day before at the Soldier's Home in Quincy, after an illness of two weeks from disease of the bladder, after a second operation had been performed in hopes that he might recover. The news of his death came as a shock and a surprise, as our citizens had not even heard that he was ill. The remains arrived in this city on Tuesday and were removed to Christopher's undertaking parlors to await burial. Wednesday, March 8, at 10 a.m. John W. Ross Post, No. 331, of this city, of which he was a charter member, took charge of the remains and conveyed them to East Cemetery for interment. Ritual services at the grave were conducted by Post Commander J. M. Joy and the handful of surviving comrades, and after appropriate songs and prayers were offered in honor of the fallen hero who has joined the ranks above, and in admonition to the living, the ashes of B. M. Hughes was left to repose in rest and peace with its Maker. His life form infancy was spent in Waverly, where he was honored and respected. He was 64 years of age, and was a veteran of the civil and Spanish-American wars, in the latter stationed at Chattanooga as wagon master. In 1899 he entered the Soldiers' Home. He enlisted in the civil war May 25, 1861, in Co. I, 14th Ill. Infantry; Geo. Palmer's regiment and was discharged at Springfield June 24, 1864. He is survived by three sisters, Misses Estella M. and Mary Hughes, both of Bloomington; a widowed sister, Mrs. Lizzie Clark of Wisconsin, and Henry Hughes of this city.

Charles Hurt, for many years a resident of this city, but for the past year or two a resident of Springfield, died at his home in that city at an early hour last Saturday morning. He had been suffering for some time with asthma, and relatives watching at his bedside left him about midnight Friday night apparently resting easy. Early Saturday morning, on going to his room, he was found lying dead on his bed. His death came as a surprise as it was not thought that he was dangerously ill. "Uncle" Charlie, as he was familiarly known in this city was a native of Kentucky, and was about 76 years of age when he died. He came to Illinois fifty years ago and had lived in Waverly most of that time. He was a veteran of the civil war, enlisting in Co. G., 101st Illinois Volunteers in this city. He is survived by one son, Seth, of Springfield. His remains were brought here last Sabbath on the 3:50 p.m. train from Springfield, accompanied by a few relatives, and taken to the East cemetery and placed near those of his wife, who had preceded him to the grave a few years ago. Short services were held at the grave by Rev. C. M. Barton of this city. He was buried by the local Grand Army post. (June 1, 1906)

Honored Citizen Dies Suddenly
J. M. Hutchison Who Spent His Entire Life Here, Dies at the Age of 84 Years Waverly lost from its midst this week an old and honored citizen, one who not only spent his entire life here, but more than the life of the town itself, as he was born in 1830 on a farm just south of the present location of Waverly. Mr. Hutchison's death came suddenly, following a few hours illness Wednesday, it not being realized that his condition was serious until the end came. Though having slight pains in the chest for two or three days little was thought of it, and Wednesday morning, Mr. Hutchison in company with Dr. Hughes, Edwin Batty and A. W. Reagel went to Dr. Hughes' orchard west of town. He became sick while there and was brought back to town, reaching home shortly before noon. He was unable to lie down owing to difficulty of breathing but did not seem to be sick while sitting or walking around the house except for the pain in his chest. He ate a very hearty dinner considering his condition and again attempted to lie down but had to get up in order to get his breath. About four o'clock he suddenly grew worse, became unconscious and died about half past four. John Miller, son of James and Aletha Hutchison was born in Waverly, Illinois, December 3, 1830 and departed this life at his home in this city October 6, 1915 at the age of 84 years 9 months and 3 days. He was one of a family of eight children: two sisters, Mrs. Mary Meacham and Mrs. Margaret McVey, and three brothers, William Joseph and David preceded him to his heavenly home. He was converted at the age of seventeen years and joined the First M. E. church in this city and was a member at the time of his death. He has always been an active member of the church and was always to be found in his place in the Sunday school, prayer meeting and preaching services, both morning and evening. Mr. Hutchison was united in marriage to Mary Seymour of Franklin, December 28, 1849. She departed this life November 30, 1911. To this union were born seven children. Mrs. Jane Church, the eldest, departed this life April 6, 1896. He is survived by the following children: Mrs. R. J. Moulton of Minneapolis, Minn.; Mrs. C. E. Peet of St. Louis; J. O. Hutchison, of Chicago; Mrs. Julia Harris, Mrs. Leona Jasper and Mrs. B. Reinbach of this city. Besides his children he has raised from infancy his granddaughter, Ouida White. Also fourteen grand children, fourteen great grandchildren, his half sister, Mrs. C. F. Meacham and half brother S. H. Hutchison of Farmersville are left to mourn his loss. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Masonic lodge. A loved one from us is gone,
A voice we love is still
A place is vacant in our home,
Which never can be filled."
Funeral services will be held at the First M.E. church Sunday, October 10th, at 1 o'clock p.m.

Thursday, August 28, 1902
Enterprise, Vol. 15, No. 37
Another Old Citizen Dead.
George T. Holmes, a Veteran of the Civil War, Expires Very Suddenly Last Saturday Morning. At an early hour last Saturday Mr. George T. Holmes, an old and highly respected citizen of Waverly, died at his home in the west end of the city. He had been in feeble health for some time, and while all realized that his condition was critical none realized that death was so near at hand, and the news of his demise came as a shock to the community where he had for nearly half a century lived an honorable and upright life. He had arisen that morning, dressed himself and walked out for a little exercise, and returning to his room had lain down on his bed to rest while the family were preparing breakfast. That hour having arrived one of the children went to his room to summon him to his morning meal, but Death had entered the home and claimed the father as its own. George Thomas Holmes was born in East Tennessee, near Knoxville, on April 7, 1829, and died at his home in Waverly on Saturday, Aug. 23, 1902, aged 73 years, 4 months and 16 days. On April 4, 1852, he was united in marriage to Miss Minerva Taylor, and the following year (1853) moved to Illinois and settled in Waverly, where he has since resided. To this marriage was born ten children, two of whom are dead. An aged wife, eight children, twenty grandchildren and fifteen great grandchildren, all of whom were present at the funeral with the exception of one son in Kansas, whom sickness prevented from attending. In 1859 Mr. Holmes made a profession of religion at the Brush College Methodist Episcopal church, six miles south of Waverly. The sincerity of this profession has never wavered as proven by his everyday life. He was conscientiously honest in his dealings with his fellow men and leaves many friends behind as witnesses to the integrity of his character. He was a good soldier, too, having made an honorable military record as a member of Company M, in the Thirteenth Illinois cavalry, which regiment he joined Feb. 11, 1862, and remained with it until he was honorably mustered out Feb. 16, 1865. As a comrade in his company said: "Tom never shirked his duty or lagged behind when danger was in front." No grander epitaph could be written. At 2:30 p.m. Sunday the body was taken from the family residence to the First Methodist Episcopal church, under escort of John W. Ross post No. 331, G. A. R., where impressive services were held by the Rev. D. T. Black, pastor of the church, assisted by the Revs. Watts and Droke. From the church the remains were escorted to East cemetery by the G. A. R., where the body was laid to rest with the ritualistic ceremony of that order, in the presence of a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends. The pall bearers were F. H. Wemple, John W. Luttrell, William T. Osborn, Young M. Hodgerson, John M. Criswell and Patrick Kehoe, all Grand Army comrades.

All Rights Reserved  © Copyright 2000-2008 All material contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.