1904 World's Fair
Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
(Photograph courtesy of Mrs. Wilbur O. Hale)
"THOUSANDS OF SPRINGFIELDIANS VISITED THE ST. LOUIS WORLD'S FAIR IN 1904 --
This leaf from a cherished old album of snapshots, taken at the St. Louis World's Fair of 1904, will bring back delightful memories to thousands of
Springfield residents who visited this great exposition of culture and entertainment. Mrs. Eldridge, the former Grace Wilson of Springfield, and now a
resident of Washington, writes interestingly of the trip which she and her sisters, Win and Laney, with other friends, made to the Exposition and the good times they
had. Some of the party may be faintly distinguished in the foreground at left, while in the background may be seen the Palace of Electricity at left, the
Louisiana Purchase Monument at far end of the lagoon, and the Palace of Manufactures in Corinthian style at right. Attendants in foreground were looking after some of the
many beautiful flower plots which enhanced the landscaping effects. The Exposition occupied 1,142 acres in Forest Park and the plan included 15 large exhibition
buildings. There were about 500 other buildings on the grounds, built by foreign governments, the States and
Territories or for special exhibits. Total admissions aggregated nearly 20 millions. Will you ever forget
the brilliant night displays, the exuberance of the crowds along "The Pike," the Festival organ recitals, the Exposition orchestra,
the famed Inside Inn, the Tyrolean Alps, etc. etc.?
(Photograph courtesy of Mrs. M. O. Eldridge, Washington, D.C.)
FESTIVAL HALL WAS SPRINGFIELDIANS' MECCA AT ST. LOUIS FAIR --
This is a companion picture to the St. Louis World's Fair scene recently featured in the
Family Album and was taken on the same trip the Misses Wilson made to that great exposition. It shows
beautiful Festival Hall, a great mecca for Springfieldians - some of whom were posed on the steps that day. With its
fountain and the Colonnade of States extending on either side, it was regarded as the architectural masterpiece of the
exposition - reflecting the inspired genius of Cass Gilbert. Here the world's finest organists gave recitals on the largest pipe
organ in the world - and the Berlin Philharmonic and the exposition's Festival Orchestra, under distinguished conductors,
presented concerts. Also, there were wonderful band programs by world famous organizations - and many musical contests. All in all, this musical
feast was an unforgettable experience for the many Springfield visitors who thronged it daily.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.