Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
(Photographs courtesy of C.M. Vaughn, Chicago)
"WOMAN'S BUILDING AND AMPHITHEATRE AT THE FAIR IN 1912--
This picture, just received from an old Fair fan, should make an interesting addition to your
collection of State Fair views of about 1912 - the Woman's Building and the Amphitheatre, as they called the
first grandstand erected on the permanent Fair Grounds. This Woman's Building was the second one, the first having been an
attractive frame structure situated about a block away to the northeast, next to the old Sangamo Club building. It is
now used as an administration building. Note the location of the Amphitheatre - almost due north of the Woman's Building. It
seemed ample for its purposes but it was soon outgrown because of the great crowds that packed it in after years.
This picture was evidently taken from the top of the Dome Building looking west and northwest. Note the big tents then so much
in vogue for exhibitors. Even then the main buildings were filled to overflowing. Typical Fair crowds can be seen along the
walks, etc. Then as now, the annual exposition was extremely popular.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.