1st Land Office
Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"FIRST LAND OFFICE.
This is a sketch of Sangamon county's first land office that stood on what is now the northwest
corner of Third and Jefferson Sts. The double log cabin served as land office and dwelling for Pascal P. Enos,
receiver of public lands, who came to Springfield with his family in September, 1823. First land sales took place
Nov. 6, 1823. The price was $1.25 an acre. Prior to the time they were permitted to purchase land, the pioneers
had no title to the property they had settled. The picture is owned by Ozias Mather Hatch III, of 1015 N. Seventh St., president
of the First National Bank and great-grandson of Enos, who lives on part of the land Enos originally entered across
from Enos park given by the Enos family.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.