Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
HARKING BACK TO 6TH AND ADAMS, LOOKING EAST, IN 1907--
Here's another for your collection of street scenes over the passing years - this time a view from the Square near the
corner of 6th and Adams, looking east. It suggests an interesting commentary on the changes on this prominent corner. For example,
that 5-story structure on the northeast corner of that intersection was the Farmers National Bank Building, located on the site now occupied by the
Illinois Building. The John Bressmer Company had recently erected its fine new "annex" store, and this loomed up impressively in rear of the old part, which is now
occupied by Roland's. Farther along on the south side of Adams were P. K. Fogarty's restaurant, 620; Landau Bros. shoes, 622; L. C. Goodman, clothing, 624; John L. Jones, furniture, 626; and the Johnston-Hatcher Company, as
of today, 628-630. And across 7th Street on the old familiar corner - the Collins House, of course! The date - 1907 - was well reflected in such incidents of the picture as the ornamental arch, horse-drawn vehicles - buggies, milk
wagons, etc.; women in white shirtwaists and long skirts; men wearing straw hats, but dark suits; a bench in the Court House yard - and
the street-cleaner resting on the sidewalk curb at left! Yes - time marches on!
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.