Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"THE OLD BRADFORD RESIDENCE AT WALNUT AND EDWARDS --
An interesting old landmark residence here was John S. Bradford's home which stood in the center of a 10
acre tract - really a city block - at the southwest corner of Walnut and Edwards Streets. It dated back to about 1850 when that
part of the city was mostly cornfields. . . This picture shows it in the 1890's prior to its acquisition by Thomas C. Henkle, who remodeled it into
a 3-story dwelling with Mansard roof, etc. and brought it forward nearer Walnut. The present owner is making an apartment house
out of it, we understand - the street number being 619.... It was an exremely comfortable home in the 1890's, with
its fine shade trees, winding drive and well-kept grounds. Note the long, shuttered windows, the ample veranda with its
rocking chairs, etc. It was then a 10-room house including two parlors and the customary marble mantels. Stables and carriage
house stood in the rear. . . . Mr. Bradford, veteran of the Mexican and Civil Wars, former Mayor of Springfield and
holder of other public offices, was a partner in Johnson & Bradford booksellers and stationers, and later proprietor of his own store.
Only survivor of his family today is a son, John Bradford, who celebrated his 91st birthday May 3 of this year.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.