Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
WHEN THE CITY HALL WAS SPRINGFIELD'S REAL PRIDE AND JOY
Back in the Nineties the local citizenry pointed with pride to the "magnificent new City Hall," as it was termed in those
days. It was the first city building that Springfield had ever owned. Prior to 1894, the date of its erection, the city had been only
a tenant renting office space here and there. Agitation for the building began in 1892, but a financing plan was not adopted until
March 29, 1893, when the proposition submitted by W.H. Conkling, E.W. Payne, P.W. Harts and George Reisch was approved by the City Council.
It provided for the payment of $470 a month for ten years, conditioned on the purchase by the city of the lot at 7th and Monroe for $10,000.
The architect was S. A. Bullard, later Mayor, and the building was finished a few days ahead of the time set - March 1, 1894.
The design of the building was Romanesque, modernized; the first floor of stone and the superstructure of buff-colored pressed brick and sandstone
trimmings. As originally used, the entire third floor was the city library. There have been two or three remodelings but the appearance of the
structure is about the same today. Of course, all agree that the city imperatively needs a new building, and there have been many discussions about a
combined city and county structure. The Municipal Auditorium idea, so vigorously advocated by this newspaper through V. Y. Dallman, its editor-in-chief, is also
gathering momentum rapidly, and following the war some action in this direction should be first on the agenda. Certainly a city of the
wealth and prestige of Springfield, the Capital of the State, should be adequately represented in these respects.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.