Old Courthouse 1899


Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.



This rare old photograph shows the Sangamon county courthouse as it appeared in 1899-1901 when it was being raised to permit addition of a new first story in order to provide more room. Until 1876 the building, begun in 1837, served as capitol of the state of Illinois. In 1876 state officials moved to the present statehouse and the building became the courthouse.


Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.



Index