Culver Construction Co.

Search billions of records on Ancestry.com




Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.



The old Culver Construction Co., owned by Col. James S. Culver, occupied most of the block on the north side of Madison St., between Eighth and Ninth Sts. and suspended business about 1912 following Culver's death, after operating for almost a quarter century. The plant was equipped with a 30 ton locomotive crane, saws, planers and lathes and had in separate buildings complete blacksmith, carpenter, paint and steamfitting shops. The Culver Company did general contracting in all classes of construction. Colonel Culver commanded the Fifth Infantry, Illinois National Guard, in the Spanish-American war and was long identified with state militia activites in general.

REMEMBER THE CULVER STONE WORKS ON MADISON BETWEEN 8TH AND 9TH STS.?
This quaint litograph is an interesting call-back to the old Culver Construction Company which through the initiative and energy of the late Col. James S. Culver attained such prominence in the business life of Springfield in the quarter century of its existence. Here we see the Culver stone works which occupied most of the block on the north side of Madison Street between 8th and 9th Streets. All the stone cutting for its contract work was done here. This plant had a reputation of being the best stone mill in the Middle West, being equipped with a 30-ton electric traveling crane, a 10-ton locomotive crane, saws, planners, and lathes, and including in separate buildings complete blacksmith, carpenter, paint and steam-fitting shops, stores, etc. The Culver Company did general contracting in all classes of construction and many big jobs in Springfield and all through this territory bear its name. Col. Culver is well remembered here and was popular not only in a business and social way but because of his service in the Spanish-American War, when he commanded the Fifth Infantry, I.N.G., and for his long identification with State militia activities in general. The Culver Company suspended operations following his death, about the year 1912, but most of the buildings here shown are still standing and are now used by a number of concerns.


Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.



Index