Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
DIRKSEN & SONS' MODEST
SOTRE OF THE EIGHTIES
This faded old picture takes us back to the early Eighties when the furniture house of A. Dirksen & Sons
was just beginning to make its mark in the business life of Springfield. The firm had its inception in the work of mattress
making, upholstering and cabinet making carried on by Anton Dirksen and his son, Theodore, dating back 75 years to 1870. Its first business
location was a one-story structure on the site of this first three-story building, shown above, at 410 E. Washington Street. At left
was the dye shop of Edward Peel; at right, the paint shop of Thomas Haughey. Standing in the dorrway, left to right, were
Anton Dirksen and Theodore Dirksen. Sitting in the second-story windows were, left to right: Anton Dirksen, Jr., and James McAlone. Note the typical window
displays of that period, and the old-time delivery wagon in front. Beginning in 1895, five additions wee made to this original structure as the business
expanded, until now it is one of the largest furniture houses downstate. Oldest employee in years and service today is Joseph Dirksen - 51 years in the upholstering department
and still very active. the present owners of the store are Theodore Dirksen, Jr., George Dirksen and Miss Anna Dirksen, all of the third generation.
Older citizens here well remember Anton Dirksen, Sr., and the golden wedding celebration of 1905, lasting three days, at which 200
guests were present to honor the founder of the firm and his estimable wife.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.