Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
THE DOME BULDING, PRIDE OF THE STATE FAIR, BACK WHEN--
In the early days of the permanent State Fair here, in the Nineties and for nearly two decades thereafter, the
Dome Building was one of the most popular attractions of the annual exposition. Its massive glass done, one of the largest in the world,
had been an outstanding feature at the great World's Fair at Chicago, 1892-1893, and the State Fair officials, casting
about for special lures for attendance, considered themselves fortunate in securing it as a permanet feature here. Transplanted to the State
Fair Grounds in 1895, it was located about 100 yeards east of the Exposition Building. From that time forth until its destruction by fire in 1917,
while troops were in training at the Fair Grounds for the First World War, it was admired by many thousands for its great proportions and symmetrical design.
It was occupied chiefly by horticultural displays. This is an excellent picture, giving the full perspective - the vast dome looming up
above the base structure, the stately columned entrance, and the covered "walkways" leading to Exposition Hall and other buildings.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.