Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"RECALLING FOGARTY BROS. GROCERY AT 7TH AND ADAMS, 1890 -
When the Nelson Building was erected on the northwest corner of 7th and Adams Streets
in 1889, it was regarded as a very handsome structure and quite an addition to that business neighborhood.
The very first tenant in the corner store room on the first floor was the grocery firm of Fogarty Brothers - John G. and William J. . .
In this interestin gold picture, the brothers are shown standing in front, John G. at left, and W.J. third from left. The
youth at right of W.J. Fogarty was probably one of the store clerks. The other men are unidentified. . . .
The front of the store presented the usual appearance of grocery establishments of around 1890, with baskets of vegetables,
sacks of sugar and flour, brooms and the like on the sidewalk. Mr. Fogarty tells us they dealt largely in staple goods, somewhat like
the Fitzgerald grocery at 5th and Adams. . . . The store hours were long and fatiguing in that era,
and Saturday nights were special bargain nights! W. J. Fogarty withdrew from the firm in less than a year's
time, to go into the shoe business, but his brother continued the store for 10 or 12 years at this same location.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.