Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
A REAL "CAMERA PAINTING," THE OLD GEHRMANN PLACE IN 1901 ---
Among the storied mansions of Springfield history, there was none more beautiful in its landscape setting and
embellishments than the old Gehrmann residence at Third and Calhoun in its prime - as witness this "camera painting" of 1901, one of the
finest examples of the work of the late Guy Mathis. Charles A. Gehrmann was one of the leading dry goods merchants here for many
years. He took extreme pride in his home which occupied a full block, the substantial brick residence being in the center of the
elaborate landscaping which included fine greensward, formal gardens, statuary, driveway and graveled walks, many rare trees and plants, etc. The house itself was beautifully
furnished and contained many rare art objects. In the picture, by that pretty white birch tree, we see Miss Adele Gehrmann, standing at
left, and her brother Paul Gehrmann, seated in an old-fashioned settee, at the edge of the walk. At the right is the front elevation of the
house, almost obscured by the wealth of foliage and shrubbery. In the distance we can glimpse a corner of the gardens. This obviously was in the era
of gracious living, in which the Gehrmanns played a prominent part in Springfield. The home was long a center of hospitality. Following the death
of her parents, Miss Adele lived there with only the servants for about thirty years. Her older brother, Charles, returned to Springfield about a year ago, and
the two lived there in the old home which, with the grounds, had been restored to something of its former state - until last March when Miss Gehrmann
died suddenly and her brother also within two months. A sad ending indeed for the local history of this fine old family. A sister, Mrs. Ella Gehrmann Fuller, lives in
Altadena, Calif, and Paul Gehrmann, shown in this picture, is a resident of Kansas City, Kans. thus, many memories cluster about this old mansion,
including the history of the site prior to its erection in 1872. Here was located the log cabin of William Kelly, one of the famous Kelly brothers
from North Carolina, who were the earliest residents of this locality. Incidentally, part of this cabin (the logs of which were
removed long since) still is in existence, in the small frame structure, occupied by the gardener, in the rear of the residence.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.