Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
(Picture courtesy of Miss Emma Redeker)
REMEMBER THE GERMAN-ENGLISH SCHOOL AT 123 E. JEFFERSON?
Many of the substantial old German families of Springfield received their elementary education
in the plain, unpretentious brick building shown at right in the picture above - the old German-English
School at 123 E. Jefferson St. It was affiliated with the German Evangelical Lutheran Church, then located on the east side of
Third Street near Washington. Records of a parish school have been found as far back as 1856, shortly after the
church was organized. This building was erected in 1880 and was used until 1907, when the present Trinity School
was built adjoining Trinity Lutheran Church, as the congregation is now known, at Second and Monroe Streets. Hundreds of
Springfield men and women of German antecedents have vivid recollections of the thorough and painstaking training there received from such gifted
teachers as B. Goesch, S. Gerbing, F. Brinkman, H. Luecker, A. Wilk, E. Flachhart and R. Schoknecht. The frame dwelling
at left was the residence occupied by the pastors of the church over a long period.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.