This attractive little church structure of stone on the southwest corner of First and Adams Streets, now
occupied by the Illinois Church Council as its general offices and headquarters, was for many years the home of the
old German Methodist church, also known as the Nast Memorial M. E. Church. The congregation was organized in 1862 and its
first church home was at Seventh and Mason Street. This building was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Rev. William Nast, clergyman, evangelist
and editor, who was the founder of German Methodism in this country. Among the earlier pastors were
Rev. Louis Kroeck, Philip Barth, Samuel Saegesser, Rudolph Havighorst and W. H. Schwiering. Rev. David S. Wahl was the pastor at the
time of this picture, the late Nineties. Later ministers included Rev. Henry Schutz, J. H. Lemkau, F. E. Neumeyer, A. H. Frank Hertzler, L. J. Duewell,
John W. Niehans and Charles M. Ellis. The congregation was absorbed into the First Methodist Church along about the year 1925. The building
was then occupied by the Full Gospel Assembly until about 1939, when it became headquarters of the Illinois Church Council. In its heyday
the German Methodist Church had a goodly congregation, flourishing Sunday School and very active church societies. Its church
orchestra was one of the largest and best known in the city and music was a big feature of the services. The house at left
was the church parsonage.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.