New York might have been a much more popular state if so many of its people had not gone over into Michigan to make their homes.
Jacksonville has, in turn, been benefitted by some of those who have come here - directly from Michigan, whether natives of that state or not.
Livingston Maturin Glover was born in Phelps, Ontario county, N.Y., February 21, 1819, being the son of Philander and Ruhamah (Hall) Glover, natives of Conway, Mass. A ketch written in 1879 says of the Glover family: "Families having the name are common in all parts of Britain, among them persons of considerable distinction in their time. Two brothers, John and Henry Glover, emigrated to America, the first about 1630, settling at Dorchester, the second about 1640, settling at Dedham, Mass. From the last the subject of this sketch (Rev. L. M. Glover) was descended. "The name is Saxon, originally spelled Gelofre."
Robert Glover was burned at the stake in 1555 in the days of "Bloody Mary". Richard Glover was born in London in 1712, was a merchant, poet and member of Parliament, dying in 1785, in London, England.
Philander Glover's family settled in 1800 in the "Gennessee country," New York, then a wilderness. In 1833 they removed to the territory of Michigan, settling at Lodi Plains, Washtenaw county. There the coming divine "was ushered into the mysteries of farming." He had preparatory studies at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and was graduated from the Western Reserve College, at Hudson, Ohio, in 1840. He then pursued theological study, at Lane Seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he was graduated.
Mr. Glover was licensed to preach and began his ministry Oct. 1842 at Lodi, where his religious life had begun. His first idea had been to be a lawyer and he had a fine legal mind; but, the higher calling was heard by him, and his life given to it. Mr. Glover labored at Lodi from 1842 until 1848, about October 27th when he began his pastorate of the First Presbyterian church of Jacksonville, which was destined to be his last work, continuing until his death. July 15, 1880.
The First church belonged to the "New School" branch of Presbyterianism. About a year after coming here, Mr. Glover bought from Moore C. Goltra, Oct. 25, 1849, the house now first west of Grace M. E. church - this being in 1915 the home of Mrs. Susan E. F. (Sewall) Barnes, lately deceased. There the Glovers lived until 1854.
Mr. Glover's work here was not confined to his professional duties alone, but he was for eighteen years a trustee of Illinois College and secretary of the Board. He was also a trustee of Jacksonville Female Academy for years, President of the Board a part of the time, and raised large sums of money in aid of its objects. He was an honorary member of several scientific associations, and received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Center College, Kentucky, in 1864. He was also the founder of the Literary Union, a club of this city, which still continues its labors of a half century.
Dr. Glover went abroad twice. His first trip was in 1858, when he went as far as Syria and Egypt. In 1873 he went as a delegate from the Presbyterian General Assembly of the U.S.A. to that of the Free church of Scotland. After his first journey he delivered a course of eight lectures in his church, in the winter of 1858-9, and they were highly interesting. He had a quiet vein of humor, and the lectures were further enlivened by that quality.
Dr. Glover was very faithful to his duty of preaching, and only ill health in the last few years compelled him to take an annual vacation. He was a good sermonizer, and looked the minister in his manner and dress, while not wearing any ministerial garb except the white cravat then usual. He had much dignity in the pulpit, and he was a genial man to meet, although rather unobtrusive in manner. He was a lover of little children, and an adherent to his friends. Politically he was an anti-slavery man.
One of the greatest trials of Mr. Glover's pastorate was when the First church building, which then stood on the southeast corner of West State and West streets, was burned, Dec. 27, 1861. For about five years thereafter he preached in Strawn's Hall. meantime he had secured the erection of a large and far handsomer edifice upon the same site. The corner stone was laid Aug. 4, 1864, and the building dedicated Jan. 6, 1867. This was one of the largest and best churches in the state, and had a town clock with a particularly good bell. It was a creditable monument to Dr. Glover's proper ambition for his parish, and of his capacity as a constructive manager. Unfortunately, as is well known, it burned Sept. 6, 1883. This was the last building occupied by the First church society. It was merged in 1885 with the Central church, the united congregations being known since as the State Street Presbyterian church, northeast corner of State and Church street.
Livingston M. Glover was a man above the average in literary ability. He was a good writer, good speaker, and wrote poetry worth considering. He had a remarkable faculty, shared at least by his son, L. B., of attaching friends and holding their allegiance, as was abundantly shown in his career as a pastor here. Few men in Jacksonville have had the opportunity to meet, know and address and counsel so many people as Dr. Glover did during the almost thirty two years of his pastorate. The longest such official term ever held in this city.
Dr. Glover was of medium height, with light eyes and hair. At first he wore side whiskers, but latterly a full beard.
Mr. Glover was married Aug. 16, 1843, to Miss Marcia A. Nutting, daughter of Prof. Rufus Nutting, formerly of Western Reserve College, and Marcia (Manning) Nutting. Prof. Nutting is supposed to have been born in Randolph, Vermont. Mrs. Glover, born in Randolph, Vt., was a sister of the Rev. Rufus Nutting, Jr., D.D., long professor in Illinois College, and of Prof. T. Dwight Nutting; both of whom lived in Jacksonville for years.
She was a woman of great kindness of heart and efficient in church and Sabbath school work. The children who were in her "Infant class" in the old church will not soon forget her motherly, management of them.
Mrs. Glover was especially kind to girls employed as domestics, and was a counselor and guide to them. Those were not the days of numerous fads when she thus helped many a young woman needing her Christian and womanly advice, but her work was done out of the loving spirit of one able to see beyond church and denominational barriers.
Mrs. Glover was born Sept. 21, 1821, and she entered into her rest November 4, 1892. for some years she had not been a resident of Jacksonville. But when their earthly careers were run Dr. and Mrs.. Glover slept side by side in Diamond Grove cemetery.
And many sorrowing people followed them to their last earthly resting place. "Beyond the smiling and the weeping."