Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"OLD HARTMANN RESIDENCE AT 5TH AND SOUTH GRAND, 1870 -
This dignified dwelling of brick construction on the southeast corner of 5th and S. Grand Avenue, shown above as
it looked in 1870, was a real landmark of the South Side. Erected in 1863, in the Civil War period, by Gustave A. Hartmann,
cigar manufacturer and tobacconist, it was for years "the last house on the street," being just outside the city
limits. . . . When the streetcar tracks were laid, S. Grand Avenue was the end of the 5th Street line, and the car barns were located
directly across the street west. . . Note the "apron walks" on the corner, the old style fence, the
planked walks, the syringa bush, the porch with railing above and the stained glass in the front door. . . .
In the family were three daughters, the Misses Emma, Mary and Frances, and one son - Edward F. Hartmann, well-known in the
printing business. The house, as remodeled in 1902 was recently sold to settle the estate, and on this
site a furniture store is soon to be built, we understand.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.