Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"RECALLING THE HAY-BROWN RESIDENCE, SITE OF NEW Y.M.C.A.--
When the Y.M.C.A. directors acquired the southwest corner of 4th and Cook Streets for the site of the future
building, they chose a historic as well as advantageous location. On that half-block of ground stood the spacious and well-appointed
Hay-Brown residence, shown above, for many years the domicile of one of Springfield's best kown and most prominent families. Back in
the 1850's, there had been a small dwelling on this lot, the home of Seymour Moody, one-time assistant postmaster of Springfield. In the
early 1860's the property was acquired by Milton Hay, prominent lawyer, and the Moody home was razed. Mr. Hay then erected a substantial
home, nucleus of the pretentious one shown here, of about 1889. His son, Logan Hay, late senior member of his father's law firm, lived here
until his marriage. In the early 1880's Mr. Milton Hay had the home remodeled and enlarged for his daughter, Miss Kate Hay, who became Mrs.
Stuart Brown. Following his death in 1893, the Stuart Browns occupied the residence until their passing in the 1920's. The last occupants of
the house were their daughter, Miss Jane Logan Brown, and their son, Milton Hay Brown, and his family. The structure was razed in 1934. The
Hays and Browns were long prominent in Springfield society life, and the many notable receptions and parties given in that era are well remembered
by the older generation.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.