Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"THE OLD HAY RESIDENCE AT 821 SOUTH 2ND STREET, ABOUT 1890--
This fine substantial dwelling, erected by the late Charles E. Hay about the year 1870 and now the
residence of Bishop John Chanler White of the Episcopal Diocese of Springfield, was a center of
hospitality and gracious living over a long period. Mr. Hay was a brother of the famous John Hay,
one of Lincoln's secretaries and in later years Secretary of State and Ambassador to Great Britain. He
was a prominent citizen, identified with large business interests here and a former mayor of Springfield.
Mrs. Hay was the former Mary Ridgely, daughter of N. H. Ridgely, head of the pioneer banking family. Mr. Hay passed
to his reward in 1916, and Mrs. Hay in 1922, after which the home was occupied for a year or two by Henry Tupper, a
son-in-law. The Episcopal Diocese acquired the property in 1925 as a residence for the Bishop, and after rehabilitation
it was occupied as such in 1926. The picture above shows this home so long identified with Springfield social
traditions as it appeard about 1890. A number of priminent families made up the neighborhood in those days,
including George N. Slack, Tingley S. Wood, William Barrett Ridgely, Dr. E. S. Fowler, Gen. Alfred Orendorff,
Clinton L. Conkling, Judge James A. Creighton, Capt. F.W. Harts, Lewis A. Miller, Rev. A. J. Kane and Col. Charles F. Mills.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.