Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"Tom Kennedy's horseshoeing establishment on the west side of S. Seventh St., between
Washington and Adams Sts., is shown as it appeard in the '90s. In those days
a number of good blacksmith shops were in Springfield, and among them Tom Kennedy's was one
of the best known over a long period of years. Kennedy came to Springfield from Ottawa in 1871
and served a four year apprenticeship with his uncle, "Jim" Kennedy, whose shop was at 822 E. Washington
St. for a number of years. Tom Kennedy opened a shop just across the street and four years later moved
to 113 S. Seventh St. and in 1905 to a location on S. Eighth St. With the increasing use of the automobile,
Kennedy's business gradually declined, and he finally closed his shop about 1912, but continued to shoe horses
at his home on E. Washington St. until about 1919, when he retired. Mr. Kennedy died Oct. 15, 1923.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.