King's Daughters Home
Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
KING'S DAUGHTERS HOME AFTER 1902 FIRE --
While the King's Daughters of Springfield are conducting a drive for funds to build a new heating plant
and other replacements at the King's Daughters home, we thought it might be interesting to see this old
picture showing the home after the disastrous fire on Jan. 28th, 1902. The King's Daughters home was
incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois on June 6th, 1893, and within two years the present site
was purchased. The household started in Oct., 1895, but could accommodate only nine old ladies. After the
fire, the members of the home were placed temporarily in a house on E. Edwards St., across from the
Congregational church, while the home was being rebuilt. It was ready for occupancy on Nov. 10th, 1902, the old structure
having been enlarged to take care of twenty persons. At this time the name was changed to "The Carrie Post" King's
Daughters home in honor of the mother of Mr. Charles W. Post, in consideration of his gift of $10,000 given
because this had once been his home. In 1921 the home was again enlarged to accommodate 37 old ladies,
which number has been maintained up to this time.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.