Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
THE OLD CHARLES W. MATHENY RESIDENCE AT 813 S. 6TH ST. --
Prominent among Springfield's "vanished landmark" homes of the early period was the residence of Charles W. Matheny,
shown above, which stood at 813 South 6th Street. Built about 1856, it was one of the pretentious dwellings on that street which
Mrs. Lincoln, in writing to her sister in Kentucky, described as "almost palaces of homes" for those times. Charles
W. Matheny, son of Charles R. Matheny, one of Springfield's earliest settlers, was a well-known merchant and head of the dry goods
firm to which the Bressmer store of today traces its origin. His family occupied the home until the late 1880's, when it was
rented to William Eaton Moore for a few years, then passing to E. R. Ulrich. In the early 1900's, W. F. Workman acquired it. The
property was sold to St. Joseph's Home for the Aged about 1910, and the home was razed in 1925 to make way for the Cathedral of the
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.