Palace Livery Stable
Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
THE OLD PALACE LIVERY STABLES AT 206-218 N. 7TH ST. --
There are two things about this old picture which are very reminiscent of the Nineties.
Firstly, it portrays a typical livery establishment - which, of course, constituted the background
for the "horse-and-buggy" era and therefore was well linked with the social life of the
community. Secondly, it is in the form of a woodcut, made from a drawing or sketch, which takes you back many years -
before the photo-engraving process was perfected. These were used to illustrate books, magazines, newspapers and all printed
matter. There was always a certain charm about woodcuts! The one reproduced herewith shows the old Palace Stables at
206-218 North 7th Street, operated by Charles E. Gehlman, and a rather pretentious establishment it was, claiming a goodly share
of the public patronage in competition with such other well known liveries as Little & Son, Salzenstein's, Ira M. Dudley, and
Starr & Trumbo. Mr. Gehlman prided himself on the quality of his turnouts and service to his patrons. In common with
other such establishments, special attention was given to boarding horses, storing rigs, etc. Opening at this stand in the late
Nineties, Mr. Gehlman conducted his stables until about 1912, when automobiles were beginning to monopolize this
field of transportation.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.