Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
AS THE REISCH BREWERY LOOKED IN THE LATE EIGHTIES --
This quaint old woodcut gives an excellent idea of the Reisch Brewery at Rutledge and Herndon Streets as it looked in the
Eighties - with smoke pouring from the chimneys and a general air of activity about the plant, and the
horsedrawn vehicles further reflecting the period. This well-known concern dates
back nearly a hundred years, one of the earliest in this field still in operation. Frank
Reisch, the first, came to this country from Niederhausen in the Duchy of Baden, Germany, in 1832, and
became a resident of Springfield about 1850. A cooper by trade, in that year he established a small
brewery, the start of the present large and well-known Reisch Brewery. His sons and grandsons have
been identified with the business all down the years, through the prohibition period to the present time, and with
constant expansion. In the period of this picture, the sons - Frank, George and Joseph, comprised the
management. The present officers are: Carl M. Reisch, president; George F. Reisch, vice-president; Frederick
Frank, Jr., treasurer and general manager; Walter S. Reisch, secretary. Many interesting traditions cluster about the
Brewery - for example, those relating to the famous tap room with its huge liter measure of copper,
which tests the powers of the guests who enjoy the Reisch hospitality.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.