Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"IN THE VICTORIAN TOUR: THE J. TAYLOR SMITH PLACE -
One of the noted Springfield landmark residences to be included in the Victorian tour arranged by the
Springfield Art Association for next Saturday afternoon will be the J. Taylor Smith place at 611 South 4th Street, now
the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Harris V. Hickox. It is a pleasure to reproduce it in that connection. . . . This old mansion with nearly
a half block frontage was built by William T. Wardell, early dry goods merchant, in 1856. Seven years later,
it was acquired by J. Taylor Smith, also a dry goods merchant and later president of the Ridgely National Bank. . .
In 1935, it passed into the hands of Harris V. Hickox, who in rehabilitating it was careful to preserve its original charm. Over
the long span of its 90 years, this fine home of the Old Springfield period has reflected
notable hospitality traditions.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.