Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
More than 1000 men were employed by Springfield Iron Co., known as the rolling mills, when this picture
of the company store was taken in about 1880. Located in the area north of the city limits and this
side of the state fairgrounds in what was then called the town of Ridgely, the company was organized in 1871.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.