St. Nick - 1890
Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
A QUAINT OLD LITHOGRAPH OF ST. NICHOLAS HOTEL, IN 1890 --
This is an interesting call-back to the familiar structure of the old St. Nicholas
Hotel which stood on the southeast corner of 4th and Jefferson for around 85 years. This old
portion of the Hotel was built by J. D. Freeman in 1856. In 1862, John McCreery, in partnership with James Sponsler, took over its
operation. Five years later, he bought out Mr. Sponsler, after which he continued active in its management
until 1901. His son, John H. McCreery, then took over and upon his death in 1920 the control passed to the Bartholf family, with H. B. Bartholf as president
of the company. Since 1943, the hotel has been operated by Nelson D. West, with Joseph E. West as manager. The 12-story
addition was built in 1925 and about five years ago the old part was almost entirely replaced. The old St. Nicholas was the scene of countless
social, political and business gatherings in the city's history. Then, as now, it had a reputation for the excellence of its cuisine and
accommodations. And - from time immemorial it has been "Democratic headquarters."
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.