Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
Photograph courtesy of Edward H. Redlick)
"QUAINT LITHOGRAPH OF BETTIE STUART INSTITUTE, IN 90'S--
Here's an addition to your collectionof Bettie Stuart Institute pictures - this time one of those quaint
old lithographs with their fanciful borders. It is an interesting glimpse back to those
prim days, and replete with atmosphere. Some of the young ladies in their
tight-fitting jackets and very long skirts of those days are seen ornamenting the
landscape. A decorous game of croquet is in progress on the well-kept lawn. All typical of the Nineties!. . . . This noted school for young women, it may be remembered,
was founded in 1868 on a site donated by the late Christopher c. Brown, and named in honor of
his wife, Bettie Stuart Brown. . . . It was conducted by Mrs. Mary McKee Holmes down to the time of her passing
in 1888, when Mrs. Eliza Johnson Brooks assumed the principalship. Upon the death of the latter in 1909,
Miss Anne Hamilton Brooks, a daughter, became head of the school. The Bettie Stuart occupied this site from
1868 to 1921, a memorable period in the history of this institution which enjoyed such a fine reputation in its field.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.