Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.
"Springfield Woolen Mills on the east side of Fourth St. between Capitol and Jackson St., long a
leading Springfield industry, was the out-growth of a wool carding business started in 1834 by H. M. Armstrong and John Dryer.
With the installation of machinery for spinning and weaving, a flourishing business soon developed. At various times
Joseph and E. R. Thayer, Henry S. Dickerman, John T. Capps and Walter H. Bradish were identified with the ownership
and management. A Springfield directory of 1865 announced the company produced cloths, cassimeres, jeans, tweeds,
satinets, flannels, blankets and stocking yarn; also dealt in manufacturers findings and cotton warps and paid the highest
price for wool. Mr. Capps died in 1909 and three years later Springfield Woolen Mills closed their doors
after 78 years of continuous operation.
Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.