Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Springfield Journal Register, date of paper which originally published the following is unknown.

The present Fox-Lincoln theater building at the northwest corner of Fifth and Capitol Ave., is the first Y.M.C.A. building in Springfield. The picture above taken about 1889 shows the structure when occupied by the "Y." The Y.M.C.A. movement dates back to 1866 in Springfield but it was 18 years later that the first Y.M.C.A. building was erected. A drug store and woman's exchange occupied the first floor while the public library and "Y" occupied the second. The Springfield Business college of which Henry B. henkel and Stephen Bogardus were proprietors occupied the third floor.

Submitted by: Jeanie Lowe.