JAMES H. BARKLEY,
furniture merchant, 219 South Fifth street, embarked in the business in Springfield as a member of the firm of Nutt & Barkley in 1868, on the north side of the square. In August, 1875, he bought his partner's interest, and has since been sole proprietor. May 1, 1881, he moved to his present building, one hundred and twenty by twenty-five feet, of which he occupies three stories and the basement. The place is heavily stocked with the most popular styles of parlor and general household furniture, and furnishings, fine pictures and mouldings, the whole comprising an exhibit rarely met with in cities the size of Springfield. The annual sales amount to the snug sum of sixty thousand dollars and have largely increased during the past year. Colonel Barkley was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, February 17, 1844; parents moved to Gibson county, Tennessee, soon after, remaining till James was ten years old; then passed a year in Memphis; removed thence to Jackson, Mississippi, where the subject of this sketch was chiefly educated. In 1857 the family came to Springfield, and settled on a farm three miles east of the city. James engaged in the pursuit of agriculture till he entered the army in 1862, as a member of Company G, of the One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Infantry. He served three years, the two last on Brigadier General R. P. Buckland's staff. Upon returning home, Mr. Barkley was employed three years as salesman in a house-furnishing establishment; carried on the grocery business a year in Christian county; sold out at the end of that time and worked for his old employer till he started in the furniture trade. He has been for a number of years a member of the Springfield Zouaves, N.G., and July 16, 1877, was elected their Colonel, which office he now holds. Colonel Barkley married Ella DeCamp, a native of Springfield, on Christmas day, 1865. They have two children, Cora Bell, born in 1866, and Kennie Weber, aged four years; buried one son. Mr. B. is a member of K. of P., Capital Lodge, and A.F. and A.M., St. Paul Lodge, No. 500.