THOMAS F. BEVANS, merchant, residence, New Berlin, was born in Island Grove township, June 19, 1843; son of John D. Bevans, who was born in Maryland, October 5, 1813, and Nancy (Foutch) Bevans, born January 23, 1824. They came to this county in 1828, and were married at Island Grove, January 2, 1842. they had eight children, three sons and five daughters, viz: Thomas F., the subject of this sketch; Mary R., now Mrs. Hawes Yates, of New Berlin; John, of Island Grove, Martha, Rachel, now Mrs. Rev. L. M. Goff, of Morris, Illinois; John D. died January 13, 1858, in Wapello county, Iowa. In an early day they lived in Springfield, where he followed clerking, and remained there until 1837; came to Island Grove, after the death of his father and remained there until 1844, then moved to Wapello county, Iowa, where he purchased land and made a farm and remained until his death. In politics, he was an old line Whig, of the Henry Clay stripe; was a member of the M. E. Church and also a member of the Masonic fraternity.
The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and received a common school education. When nineteen years old he commenced clerking for A. W. Cook, of Berlin, and remained with him one and a half years; from there went to New Berlin, where he formed a partnership with Mr. Cook, under the firm name of Cook & Bevans; remained together till 1865, when the partnership was dissolved; he then clerked for him until he sold out to Ross, Thon & Co. In 1866, he formed a partnership at Old Berlin with J. D. Batty; remained for eleven and a half years, sold out to W. B. Price & Co., then engaged to Hammon, Merrian & Co., wholesale grocers of Chicago, for a short time. He married Miss Caroline L. Collins, March 27, 1870, at Carbondale, daughter of Rev. N. G. Collins, a Baptist clergyman. She was born in Wheeling, Virginia, October 2, 1850. They had one child, Edwin f., born September 12, 1871.