1881 HISTORY OF SANGAMON COUNTY, ILLINOIS
Inter-State Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois, 1881



Page 647

FRED D. BUCK, dealer in hats, caps, and gentlemen's furnishings, 527 north side of the square, has been identified with this branch of merchandising in Springfield since 1872. He succeeded J. H. Adams, the pioneer hat manufacturer of the city, who in the early days of Springfield used to supply a large per cent of the inhabitants of the surrounding new country with head gear. Mr. Buck became associated with this house, located at 127 west side of the square, nine years ago. As the building was about to be torn down to give place for a better one, he moved to his present number, April 1, 1881. Hats, caps and gloves are his specialty, of which he carries a large and complete stock. In 1880-1, his house sold two thousand eight hundred straw hats, and one thousand six hundred pairs of gloves during the season. A capital of $10,000 is employed in the business, and is turned over about twice and a half each year. He started by purchasing the stock of the old firm for $571, borrowing the money to make the payment. Besides his stock of goods he has $2,500 invested in a home in the city. Mr. Buck is a native of Hagerstown, Maryland; born in June, 1852. Leaving there at the age of sixteen years, he spent three years in the confectionery business in Frederick City, Maryland. Came from there to Springfield, Illinois, in 1871, and soon after embarked in present business. He and a sister and brother occupy the same home, all being unmarried. Their parents, George and Eva (Burn) Buck, are deceased.


1881 INDEX

This resource page can be used by reseachers in their quest for their family history but cannot be reproduced in any format for profit!