JAMES CLAY, post office, New City, is a native of England, who came to America in 1844, and settled on section fourteen, township fourteen, range four, where he has ever since resided. In July, 1861, he married Dorcas Davy, a native also, of England; she died August 5, 1872, and January 25, 1874, he married Mrs. Mary A. Kearns; she was born in Ohio, September 10, 1836, daughter of Jacob and Jerusha Harman. She married Perry J. Kearns, September 10, 1854, by whom she had two sons and four daughters; four of these children died in infancy; one son, William, M.D., died August 17, 1878; Iva Ellie, the only survivor, married Thomas L. Matthews, December 31, 1877. Mr. K. enlisted August 12, 1861, in the One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was wounded at the battle of Tupelo, Mississippi; he died from the effects of a wound, August 10, 1864. By the second marriage one child was born, September 2, 1875, who died August 19, 1876, named Ola Eva. Mr. Clay owns two hundred and seventy-three acres of land, valued at $50 an acre; and the family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The following is the record of the Kearns family: William M. D., was born October 16, 1855; Mary E., April 20, 1827; Louis H., June 27, 1858; Eva Ellie, August 27, 1859; Ida Eva, October 6, 1860; Liewy Bell, September 14, 1862. Sally M. Clay, an adopted daughter of James and Mary A. Clay, was born November 15, 1875, and died October 11, 1877; she was a daughter of Mr. Ashford, who lost an arm in the late war.