GEORGE W. CONSTANT, farmer, was born in Kentucky, near Winchester, October 23, 1818, and is the son of Isaac and Amy (Dean) Constant, natives of Kentucky and Virginia respectively, and came from Kentucky to Sangamon county, Illinois, in the fall of 1830, and settled on Fancy creek, in Williams township, section seven. they had eight children, all born in Kentucky, viz: John, Rebecca, Abigal D., Mary Ann, Abery G., Samuel D., James and George W. Mr. Constant came to Sangamon county with his parents, who were among the early settlers of the county, and remained at home on the farm until he was twenty-one years old, and then began to appropriate his earnings to his own use, making rails from a piece of timber-land given him by his father. His education was obtained in the country schools of his boyhood days. Mr. Constant was married in Williams township, November 26, 1840, to Martha B. Stewart, daughter of James and Roxanna (Stillman) Stewart. the former was born at Fort Ann, New York, in 1777, and the latter in Massachusetts, March 22, 1786, to whom were born eight children: Mary M., Roxanna, Jane C., Benjamin H., William A., Abigal C., Martha B., James O., and Joseph B., the first two mentioned, Mary M., and Roxanna, are the only ones living. Mr. and Mrs. George Constant were blessed with three children: William S., born October 24, 1841; James H., born February 23, 1845; Mary A., born December 12, 1847, all of whom were born in Williams township, and are living. Mrs. Constant was a member of the Christian Church, which membership lasted until her death in June 1, 1850. She was born in Illinois March 10, 1821, being in her thirtieth year when she died.
Mr. Constant was married again in the city of Springfield, October 7, 1852, to Mary W. Stapleford, a native of the State of Delaware, came to Illinois in 1836, and spent a few months at Salisbury, then went to Springfield. Mrs. Constant has enjoyed good school privileges, and in her earlier life was engaged in teaching school for several years, in the following places: Springfield, Illinois; St. Louis, Missouri; Vermont, Illinois, and at Fancy Creek, Illinois; became acquainted with Mr. C. while teaching at the latter place. Mr. Constant entered the mercantile business in Williamsville, Sangamon county, Illinois, January, 1859, in which he remained till January, 1863. After closing out his mercantile interests, he gave his attention to farming. He is in possession of three good prairie farms, one in Logan county, the other in Williams township, two of which consist of one hundred and sixty acres each, the others two hundred and ninety-one acres, all improved, and all, save one hundred and thirty-five acres, under good cultivation. The old home farm is partly in timber, and included in the above farms mentioned. Mr. Constant has served in offices for several years, in Williamsville, serving as a member of the town trustees, and president of the same body for several years, and has been on the board of education in Williamsville for a number of years. Mr. and Mrs. C. have been active members of the Christian Church for over forty-three years.
His children: Wm. S. occupies one of his farms in Williams township: James H. carried on his farm in Logan county; Mary A. is the wife of James H. Groves, and resides in Williamsville.
George W. Constant thinks the first chinch bugs discovered in Illinois was in 1832, by his father and his uncle and himself in a low basin of prairie land on his father's farm, section seven, first discovered in a small number and area, while cutting corn, and they so named them from their peculiar offensive odor. It was several years before this pest was much known or did any damage to growing crops.