JOHN B. HUNTER. The Barney Hunter farm lies a mile north of Buffalo and consists of more than four hundred and ninety acres of beautiful land. Its location is favorable and its natural advantages for drainage are perfect, as the land slopes gradually in each direction. To the natural beauties of the acreage has been added an almost perfect equipment for farm life, making it indeed a model estate whose like is seldom seen. A fine house surrounded by trees and flowers, with a flourishing orchard to the west, and extensive outbuildings thoroughly adapted to the uses for which they were intended, with the lands carefully kept, make up a scene of great attractiveness. From the grounds around the dwelling to the remotest corner of the large estate, a look of order and cleanliness prevails and buildings and fences are kept in perfect repair. Mr. Hunter is regarded as an ideal farmer and it is universally acknowledged that he deserves the success which has come to him.
Our subject was born in Bond County, this State, in 1825, and is the second child of David and Elizabeth Hunter. His father was of Irish extraction and born in North Carolina, whence he removed to Tennessee, subsequently coming to this State. The son of whom we write was reared on a farm, having the meager educational advantages of the day in schools held in log houses of primitive construction and furnishing. He began his career by the purchase of one hundred and twenty acres of land, making a payment of a yoke of oxen and securing time on the balance. From the first he showed the aptitude for his calling that has brought him a merited reward by placing him in the front rank among his fellow-craftsmen. In 1876 he disposed of his original estate and purchased the land upon which he is now living. He had previously bought a fine tract near Lake Fork, Logan County, which has been increased until it amounts to eleven hundred and fifty acres.
Mr. Hunter is a breeder of fine cattle, his favorites being Short-horns. His stock barns and sheds are commodious and arranged according to the best models, and in the care of stock he has no superior. His herds have repeatedly taken the first premiums in exhibitions where the best in the country competed. In addition to his farm in this State Mr. Hunter has a stock farm in Wyoming, on which he keeps a thousand horses and four thousand cattle. His entire landed estate makes up a princely domain.
In 1844 Mr. Hunter was married to Martha J. Young, a native of Bond County, who died in 1846, leaving one child, L. M. Hunter, now of Kansas City. Mr. Hunter subsequently married Mary Robinson, who was also removed from him by death, she leaving three daughters and two sons. The present wife of Mr. Hunter was Mrs. Eliza Johnson, nee White. This union has been blest by the birth of three children - a son, guy, being the only one who now remains at home. Mr. Hunter gives his political adherence to the Democratic party. He holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church.