The Cemetery is located 1 1/2 miles west of the village of Mechanicsburg on the Mechanicsburg to Springfield County Road at markers 11 East and 1 North. It is one of the oldest cemeteries in Sangamon County with burials beginning in the 1830's. A Cemetery Association was formed in 1837 and incorporated in 1876. The present location was in the beginning the Methodist Camp Meeting Grounds. A death occurred at one of the meetings and the person was buried on the grounds, thus the beginning of the burials in this area.Many of the early settlers of Mechanicsburg Township are buried here. Mechanicsburg Township is composed of the villages of Buffalo, Dawson and Mechanicsburg. It is a large cemetery with well over 4,000 burials. The cemetery is well maintained with burials averaging 35 a year.
Information herein was obtained from onsite tombstone readings, photographs and the volunteer contributions of descendants of those who are buried here. Publication of this cemetery were made by the Sangamon County Genealogical Society, whom have the publication for sale. Some of the readings were compared with these previous readings in order to verify, compare and correct. Due to the age of some of the stones, it is sometimes difficult to get a correct reading or photograph.
THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE READING OF THE CEMETERY, ONLY A VERY SMALL BEGINNING.
As with all transcribed records, errors could be made and one should document with other sources. For additions or corrections please notify Mary Ann Kaylor