THE ANTIOCH CHRISTIAN CHURCH
of
Cantrall, Illinois


The First Church of Sangamon County, Illinois
Organized May 15 1820
By
Stephen England


THE ANTIOCH CHRISTIAN CHURCH IS BORN

Page iii

On May 15, 1820, at the home of Stephen and Anna (Harper) England, the following person, all professing Christians meeting together, did sign the following agreement:

"We, the members of the Church of Jesus Christ, being Providentially moved from our former place of residence from distant parts, and being baptized on profession of our faith, and met at the house of brother Stephen England, on a branch of Higgins' creek, in order to form a constitution, having first given ourselves to the Lord and then to one another, agree that our constitution shall be on the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament, believing them to be the only rule of faith and practice."

Thus was born "The Antioch Christian Church of Cantrall, Illinois."

Mrs. Adelphia Wood above, one of the charter members of the Antioch Church was formerly Adelphia (Harper) (Snelson). She was a sister to Anna (Harper) England.

Fannie (England) Cantrall was a daughter of Stephen & Anna England.

Mrs. Sarah Cantrall, the wife of Wyatt Cantrall, was also a daughter of Stephen & Anna (Harper) England.

Mrs. Lucy (Scott), was also a daughter of Stephen & Anna (Harper) England.

We believe that Nancy (Dodson) Langston was related to Anna (Harper) England, but just how, it not known at the present.

____________________


From the 1881 History of Sangamon County, Illinois:

The first house of worship was one of logs erected in 1823, shortly before the death of Stephen England, on land owned by Mr. Britton (Brittin). This church was erected after the manner of the first school house, the neighbors gathering and erecting it because of its necessity.



Antioch Table of Contents
Sangamon Index



This resource page can be used by reseachers in their quest for their family history
but cannot be reproduced in any format for profit. 2008