Obituary from Unknown Newspaper; Unknown Date:
"OLD SETTLER'S DEATH RECALLS PIONEER DAYS"
Chana, Nov. 6 -- Ann McGuffin, daughter of John and Margaret Howard McGuffin was born July 28, 1832 near London, Canada, and died Friday, Nov. 2, 1928 at her home near Chana, aged 96 years, 3 months and 5 days. She was one of a family of 12 children, only two of whom survive---Mrs. Mary Haney Steffa of Oregon, and Mrs. Frances Robinson of Los Angeles, Cal. She was also a sister of Mrs. Helen Frast and Samuel McGuffin late of Oregon.
In 1843 she came with her parents to the home they had purchased near Byron, the journey made overland by wagons aand required six weeks. She lived there till she grew to young womanhood, receiving her education at the Select school, later known as the Byron Seminary. She began teaching school at the age of 16, teaching near Byron at Daysville, the Canfield school and a year in Canada. Following her work in Canada she returned to Illinois and on Feb. 21, 1856 married Benjamin A. Canfield of Pine Rock, who with his family came from New York by wagon in 1846. The Rev. Henry Martin was the officiating minister and he, with the pastors who followed him, always found a welcome and a haven of rest in the new home. So ideal was the Christian character of the home that the minister's room was christened The Prophet's Chamber by the Rev. Barton Cartwright.
Her husband died Feb. 14, 1874, leaving her to the upbringing of the family of six children, three others having died in infancy. One daughter, Mrs. Sarah Millis of Byron, died Aug. 8, 1927. There remain to mourn her passing Mrs. Imogene Spivey of Jamesport, Mo.; Mrs. Rose Ling of Franklin Grove; Mrs. May Cleaver of Taylor Township; John B. and Blanche Canfield who lived with her in the old home near Chana, 12 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, a host of relatives and friends.
She was a woman of highest character and noble ideals, a very true friend, no one needing help ever having been turned from her door. She was a member of the Chana M. E. Church from its founding and always gave liberally to its support. She was one of the earlier pioneer settlers of this territory, coming here when the great stretches of wild prairie were dotted with the wildflowers she loved so well and at a time when it was not unusual to see wild deer in large numbers. On reaching Oregon they stayed over night at the brick house (still standing) near the east end of the bridge. At that time there was no bridge over Rock River and they crossed in a boat. There were none of the wooded islands now found near the bridge and the river was so clear the fish could be seen beneath the boat. Oregon was at that time a very tiny village. St. John Mix bought cattle later from her father that formed part of the first driven from Byron to Chicago. Wheat was the crop mainly raised and it was hauled to Chicago. Her mother in company with another woman rode on a load of wheat from Oregon to Chicago, on their way to make a visit in Canada and the price of their journey was a bag of wheat. The man who drove the wagon stated that if he got stuck they could get off themselves, but he would have to throw the wheat off. They made the journey, however, without any mishap. The family endured all the privations, hardships and sickness incident to pioneer life, enjoying to the fullest measure the pleasure of life and in spite of... (here the photocopy is cut off)...
Contributed by Sue Olson
Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site