Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Grand Detour Cemetery

Grand Detour Township

The cemetery is on the north edge of the village of Grand Detour where Green Street becomes Ridge Road. The land was donated by Mr. Leonard Andrus, a prominent early settler and partner of John Deere. The first burial was in 1850. There are a few markers of earlier dates (1839) which were moved from their original burial place in an adjacent sheep pasture. Several of the older stones are of soft stone which has weathered, but most are still readable. There are many Civil War Veterans buried here, mostly from the 34th Illinois Infantry.

NE gravestone inscriptions

NW gravestone inscriptions

SE gravestone inscriptions

SW gravestone inscriptions

For more information contact one of our

Look Up Volunteers or the Ogle County Genealogical Society

Click here for Photos of Ogle County Tombstones

 

 

 
Photos by Laverne M. Stauffer
 

Surname Index: (from mid 1980's)