Obituary: from Leaf River, IL newspaper- source: copy from Stu Pyper]
DEATH OF MRS. HENRY [ANDREW] PALMER
Mrs. Henry Palmer departed this life on Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 23, at 5 o'clock. The direct cause of her death was a stroke of paralysis which she suffered on July 23 which left her in a helpless condition and owing to her extreme old age her case was generally regarded as hopeless.
Mrs. Palmer, whose maiden name was Lydia Beeler, was born in Washington County, Md. Dec. 19, 1828, and died in Leaf River, Aug. 23, 1910, thus being at the time of her death 81 years 8 months and 4 days old. She came to Ogle County, Illinois, with her parents in 1842, and settled in Maryland Township. On December 14, 1848, she was married to Henry [Andrew] Palmer, and shortly afterward she and her husband moved to what is now known as the Henry Palmer farm where they resided nearly forty years. Mr. Palmer died Feb. 22, 1888, and Mrs. Palmer continued to reside on the old farm until the spring of 1891 when she removed to Leaf River, where she resided until her death.
She was the mother of ten children, two of whom, Miss Ella Palmer and Mrs. Mary Lewis, preceded her to the great beyond. She leaves to mourn her loss four sons and four daughters as follows: Abram Palmer, of Rockford, Jacob, John and Henry Palmer, of Leaf River, Mrs. Emma Pipher, of Selby S. Dak., Mrs. Dor[r] Hazzard, of Myrtle, Ill., Mrs. C.M. Stine and Mrs. E.S. Pyper, of Leaf River. She is also survived by 35 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren.
The death of Mrs. Palmer removes the last member of the Beeler family, three brothers and two sisters having gone before. A good and noble woman has gone to her reward and the memory of her many kind and charitable acts will remain fresh in the minds of many of the rising generation. Her whole life was one of unselfish devotion to her family and friends, by whom she will be sadly missed.
The funeral services will be held to-day at the Christian Church, conducted by Rev. R. W. Pitman. Interment will be at Lightsville.
Contributed by Carol Palmer Schmidt
Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site